It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:32 pm

WTB opinions of jaded paladins 

Post WTB opinions of jaded paladins
I'm back to teh tdaforumz aftr long brek!

Anway, with the WotLK beta starting and the NDA on the Alpha being lifted, there is a lot of great info about all of the classes. The shaman stuff makes me very excited, but the paladin stuff also looks very promising. I can't imagine NOT having at least one ret in a raid, and even if there wasn't all of the holy pallies will be judging wisdom!

http://wotlkwiki.info/index.php/Paladin

Some of the info I've seen isnt on the wotlkwiki. such as:

Quote:
New Paladin Talents

Initial info is starting to pop up about Paladin talents. Listed below are the talents currently known.
Holy

Blessed Hands (20 Points Required in Holy, 2 Ranks) -- Reduces the mana cost and increases the resistance to Dispel effects of all Hand spells by 15/30%

Infusion of Light (35 Points Required in Holy, 2 Ranks) -- Your Holy Shock critical hits reduce the cast time of your next Holy Light spell by 1.25/2.5 secs.

Sacred Cleansing (40 Points Required in Holy, 3 Ranks) -- Your Cleanse spell has a 10/20/30% chance to increase the target's resistance to Disease, Magic and Poison by 30% for 10 sec.

Enlightened Judgements (40 Points Required in Holy, 2 Ranks) -- Increases the range of your Judgement spells by 10/20 yards.

Judgements of the Pure (45 Points Required in Holy, 5 Ranks) -- Your Judgement spells increase your casting and melee haste by 2/4/6/8/10% for 30 secs.

Beacon of Light (50 Points Required in Holy) -- The target becomes a Beacon of Light, healing all party or raid members within 10 yards for 2000 over 15 sec.

* Rank 5: Level 80, 2330 mana, 1.5 sec Cast

Protection

Hammer of the Righteous (50 Points Required in Protection) -- Hammer the current target and up to 2 additional nearby targets, causing $s1% of weapon damage as Holy damage. This ability causes high threat.
Retribution

Heart of the Crusader (5 Points Required in Retribution, 5 Ranks) -- In addition to the normal effect, your Judgement spells will also increase the critical strike chance of all attacks made against that target by 1/2/3/4/5%.

Sanctified Retribution (20 Point Required in Retribution, 1 Rank) -- Damage caused by targets affected by Retribution Aura is increased by 2%.

Sheath of Light (20 Points Required in Retribution, 3 Ranks) -- Increases your spell power by an amount equal to 10/20/30% of your attack power and your critical healing spells heal the target for 20/40/60% of the healed amount over 12 seconds.

Sanctified Wrath (35 Points Required in Retribution, 2 Ranks) -- Increases the critical strike chance of Hammer of Wrath by 25/50%, reduces the cooldown of Avenging Wrath by 30/60 secs and while affected by Avenging Wrath 25/50% of all damage caused bypasses damage reduction effects.

Swift Retribution (40 Points Required in Retribution, 3 Ranks) -- Your Retribution Aura also increases casting, ranged and melee attack speeds by 1/2/3%.

The Art of War (40 Points Required in Retribution, 3 Ranks) -- Your damaging Crusader Strikes have a 5/10/15% chance to cause your next Judgement spell to cause double damage.

Righteous Vengeance (45 Points Required in Retribution, 5 Ranks) -- Increases critical damage bonus of all attacks by 3/6/9/12/15%

Divine Storm (50 Points Required in Retribution) -- An instant weapon attack that causes Holy damage to up to ${$i-1} enemies within $a1 yards. The Divine Storm heals up to 3 party or raid members totalling $s2% of the damage caused.

eh? eh? from a non pally perspective, it all looks kinda sweet.

Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:44 pm
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

I'm really stoked at the changes, the holy tree having a heap of buffs to judgements is just great. Will make PvE healing/support much more interesting. Holy/Ret hybrids look like a lot of fun too.

Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:38 pm
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

I'm really stoked at the changes, the holy tree having a heap of buffs to judgements is just great. Will make PvE healing/support much more interesting. Holy/Ret hybrids look like a lot of fun too.

Seems like I have heard this before.

Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:13 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Seems like I have heard this before.

Ya.. that was mostly my point in the other thread. It could be very cool, or more of the same.. but until we know how it all works out with the additions to the other classes, it's hard to say.

Obviously I'm really only interested in the ret stuff, and it does look like there's increased DPS potential, but how that relates to the increased stamina levels and the offensive/defensive enhancements to other classes, it's all speculation.

One thing I didn't see was much in the way of mana buffs for ret. That's really the trouble I always had. The other player or team would simply outlast my DPS, heal through because I had no healing debuff, and drain/CC until I have nothing left. So long as the paladin is reliant on something that will eventually run out, I don't see it being much more than a PvE enhancement.

Are there any new anti-CC enhancements for ret? Will they change BoF back to what it used to be? Will I still be able to face-roll with my Warlock and dominate ret pallies? Will all the ret die-hards re-roll Deathknight?

You can only toy with people who invested a vast amount of time in it for so many years before they become jaded. Blizzard has to prove it this time.

/edit

I see a ret talent called "judgement of the wise".. at 3/3 returns 60% of the damage caused by the judgement as mana for group/raid. That might fix the mana issue, but it would need to be tried out.

How's this for a ret pvp build? It's just adding on the new stuff to the popular prot/ret builds used now. Yay.. no more having to put 5 points into imp devo aura, while using ret aura.. LOL

The attack mechanics will be exactly the same as they are now, with the exception of the new instant strike "divine storm". Most all of the new stuff is passive.. which of course is boring.. but who knows.. might be able to mow suckas down now.

/edit again

but lol.. warlocks can go affliction to Haunt.. with soul link.. or any number of other major changes to attack strategies.. (demon sounds cool).. maybe instead of going to soul link, go haunt + shadow burn.. The dots will be so hot, plus spamming shadow burn = win.

Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:09 am
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Yeah but this time I have chars to fall back on if paladins suck. Actually I plan on playing my druid to 80 and boomkin looks awesome :P Compared to other changes, these are all big, and they're all addressing the problems they originally had at release. Lol.

Micas is basically writing it off because one aspect of the class in one aspect of the game which we'll never know until it is put into practice. Overall, for what we can theory craft at this point, the changes look good.

Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:17 am
says Hi!
says Hi!

Did you notice the new shaman polymoph? Yay for turning people into frogs and chickens

"Love means pretending to pay attention"

Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:46 am

Did you notice the new shaman polymoph? Yay for turning people into frogs and chickens

Your momma is a frogchicken!

Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:21 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Micas is basically writing it off because

... of Blizzard's history with the class...

However.. I did not "write it off", as I clearly said it remains to be seen how the new abilities work in relation to the other new stuff that the other classes are getting... but if you're counting the number of new abilities that a ret paladin is going to have.. it's exactly one.. one new key, which works exactly the same as the one key we use for crusader strike, but with 4 more seconds of cooldown. Heck, just macro CS and divine storm into one spammable key.

Looking at the DK, it seems much better for those that want a new interactive melee class.

I also have an alternate class, and I'm still irritated at myself for not dumping the paladin 3 years ago... plus one never knows how Warhammer will turn out, possibly making it all a moot point.

Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:59 am

At the moment ret burst is absolutely ridiculous as it stands now because of all the modifications to JoC(people are critting for 18k self-buffed). I figure this will undoubtedly lead to nerfs so once our damage gets toned down (most likely too much) we're going to need a new interrupt of some kind though 30 second HoJ is really hot. I also like how they streamlined a lot of skills we have by getting rid of Sanc aura and seal of the crusader but the pvp problem still remains that we do very passive dps.

To Micas: The mana issues you were talking could be less crippling because of how how they revamped judgement. Basically judgement of justice, wisdom and light are their own spells and can be judged on command (while keeping your dps seal up). So..you can debuff a mob with judgement of wisdom (old school method seal + judge) AND use the newer judgement of wisdom (new way hitting one button) to get a lot of mana back. Also because of how much damage JoC is doing paladins are getting quite a bit of mana back (1-2k range) normally.

For anti-CC they neutered the current BoSac but it's still pretty powerful. 0/20/51 means whoever the opponent is focusing only takes 50% damage because of you when you stack hand of sacrifice and divine shield albeit Holy would probably use that more.

Basically the biggest issue remains that is still a very passive melee spec. The good news, however, is that we bring a lot more utility now such that we aren't a support class that needs to be supported in order to function.

Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:07 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ya.. was reading about those 18k judgements.. if that goes live.. LOL

Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:29 pm
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Fairly certain that 99% of ret pallies will reroll DK, making it a moot point. The class philosophy of DK is closer to what most ret pally players want, anyway.

Having said that, here's my take:

I've been playing ret pally on Horde as well, so there's some factional differences that I'd like to comment on as well. It's interesting to see them give SoV and SoB (or their equivalents) to both factions. Definitely a good thing for alliance, and a welcome change for ret as well as prot paladins.

The bonus of an additional spell interrupt (BE racial) is something they haven't addressed for alliance, and imo a big deal in terms of PvP. One of the most frustrating things about playing a paladin is that you have scant ability to stop a healer from healing right in front of you, apart from a long cd stun. An addition of some type of pummel/kick ability/earthshock ability would be nice.. and probably a more complimentary tradeoff than the extra dmg abilities they give us.

BoSac changes are a huge nerf for PvP as well as PvE, since I use that to regain mana when SoB self-dmg isn't cutting it in raids.

In terms of PvP, they still lack the most important abilities that other melee classes have.. effect snares, -healing effect, and reliable spell interrupts aside from a long CD stun, making them an autoswing class. Currently, pvping as ret (which I do sometimes) feels as though I have very little control over the fight, and the proposed changes don't seem to change that much.

In summary, the changes are a minor step in the right direction, but one added instant attack (wowzers!) haven't changed the fact that paladins are probably one of the least gratifying melee classes to play.

DK inc!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

skuld|notevilskuld|winry|ds alliance
parn|ilena|jaze|selket|vainglory|ds horde

Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:22 am
Profile WWW

Well, I've been playing my prot pally, seen here: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Windrunner&n=Azuula

The new things were getting look cool, shield of righteousness for when we need to be 2nd on threat will help.

Tossing out a sacred shield, eh, pretty small, but might be nice.

Divine guardian is interesting, 30% less damage to the raid while I bubblehearth... Interesting concept, but I cant think of many situations it would be useful if I were actually tanking.

The Touched by the light talent is nice, means we pretty much only need to steal a spelldamage weapon from shadowpriests, and use war tanking gear. I admit Im curious as to what kind of stam raid level gear in WotLK will have though. Already seeing boe blues that are mid70s with 80+ stam on them, so...

The cheaper consecrate/holy wrath/avenging shield, eh. depends on how long the discount lasts for. ie, if I just cast consecrate, and the buff wont last till I can recast it, and shield is down... its useless.

The top of the tree Hammer of righteousness, should be interesting. But somewhat redundant.... Were already good at ae tanking, did we really need an ae attack that does holy damage/high threat? It could be interesting in PVP/pretending to DPS though, using a good 2h... Will it take into account attack power, etc?

Tanking will be in good shape, though it will play like a shadowpriest even more than it already does, with a priority queue, and all of the short cooldown abilities...

8s, 6s, 6s, 10-8s, and resealing....

Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:02 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:38 pm

DK inc!

Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:48 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD-OKitUKko

Kalgan is rolling a BE pally, true story.

As for the pally changes, i think they look really good.

CC: Repentance is still on a 1 min cd but now lasts for 1 minute on mobs. in pvp it would last for 10 seconds, making it a decent blind in pvp and a decent ranged sap for pve making 5 man dungeons friendly for the ret pally.

Hammer of justice's cd can now be reduced to 30 sec's, that with the pvp set bonus (if they dont change it) makes it into a 6 sec stun every 15 secs. That sounds pretty good to me. Combined with the increased burst dmg that ret is getting might actually be efficient for killing healers.

Mana efficiency: Beta testers, from what i've read, are saying that mana returns from judgements of the wise(ret talent), and JoW are excellent. It seems that there will be a different seal/judge system in which seal of wisdom does not need to be up to judge wisdom (and now it seems judging wisdon alone returns a hefty amount of mana, plus it scales). Basically what homonculous said earlier.

As for the whole 20k crit judgements being reported, I think its real hard to say if its Op or working as intended. From what I've seen, those crits were done on similar or lower lvl mobs with every proc and buff available. I have yet to see a vid of a pally pulling off a 20k judgement crit on a same level player with resilience. if anything they'll probably tone it down a little.

Holy and arena: it seems to me that with a high enough crit rate, a holy pally might actually be up to par with the other healers in arena. Instant cast holy lights for one.

Infusion of Light - Your Holy Shock critical hits reduce the cast time of your Holy light spell by 2.5 secs (at max rank).

Holy shock at max rank will heal for around 2500 plus the cd has been reduced to 6 seconds. Then theres Sheath of Light which will be available for holy paladins as well as long as they dont get beacon of light.

I guess on paper it all looks really good, but in the end we'll have to see when it goes live. I'm really liking the pally changes thus far, alot more than the hunter changes I must say. Hunters are still gonna be free hk's for warriors and rogues without a much needed gtfo of melee range ability.

If both classes due indeed end up sucking then theres DK at least.

Grinding exp irl.

Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:16 pm