It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:54 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 959 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 64  Next
Some crazy shit about new-age-techno-whatsits and epeen 

Post Some crazy shit about new-age-techno-whatsits and epeen
Can't remember if there was a thread on this, but there was talk of it in my home cinema thread I did a while back.

Anyway read this the other day that Warners will be going exclusively with Blu-Ray with New Line to follow suit:

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssCons ... 5420080105

And according to this pie chart, Blu-Ray has taken over a good part of the market:

http://images.macrumors.com/article/200 ... er_300.png

I was going to get a HD DVD player but now I'm back to square 1. I've heard that Blu-Ray has longer loading times (particularly with menus) and that there are different versions of the formats which depending on what player you have could mean that you can't watch certain discs.

I think I'm going to wait it out until there is a definate format or a player comes out that supports both formats. Apparently LG have made a couple of players and Samsung are about to release one as well. They'll probably be expensive as hell though.

Last edited by Azareus on Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:21 pm

Microsoft can go to hell

http://ctprofiles.net/468077

Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:25 pm

ps3 will be comin in the mail in 28 days. bluray gogo

Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:42 pm

Blu-ray has been doing better than HD-DVD recently, Sony is throwing alot of money at it. I have an HD-DVD Drive and will be grabbing a Blu-ray soon enough (get both players, problem solved).

As far as video/audio quality is concerned HD-DVD is the better. HD-DVD is simply an extention of existing DVD tech hence its more developed more refined and studios have had a good whack of time to learn how to do a good quality encode.

Blu-ray being brand new still has come quirks to be worked out. On average the picture quality isnt quite as pretty and up until recently there were some limitations on audio output. However Blu-ray has alot more on disk space to play with which means theres more room to mess about with compression. At the end of the day Blu-ray could turn out to be better and as of the moment its got a better chance of being the successful winner.

Ask the average chump no nothing on the street what blu-ray is and theyll give you the full lot of marketing propaganda, ask them what HD-DVD is and theyll have no idea (usual response is "what..? you mean DVD?). At then end of the day the company that spends the most money pushing their product will probebly win.

Good news is, the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show a median latency of forty-four point six years, so if you're thirty or older, you're laughing. Worst case scenario, you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator and it makes a happy face.

Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:38 pm
says Hi!
says Hi!

Can the Blu-ray format be played on the macbook? Inquiring minds want to know

"Love means pretending to pay attention"

Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:47 pm

Can the Blu-ray format be played on the macbook? Inquiring minds want to know

I dont think Mac have introduced a Blu-Ray drive to their products yet.

Good news is, the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show a median latency of forty-four point six years, so if you're thirty or older, you're laughing. Worst case scenario, you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator and it makes a happy face.

Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:00 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:45 am
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

I have followed the format war EXCEPTIONALLY close and am a blu-ray supporter. I have a PS3 and quite a few blu-ray titles.

Firstly, Pic... Apple is expected to make a statement soon with detailed specs. They have already confirmed that they will support Blu-ray and will soon start integrating blu technology into their products. But they do not at the present time.

The PS3 has really good load times... I really havn't experienced load-time problems at all. They are about the same as DVD, but I have heard that load times on stand-alone players are quite longer. The only problem that I have with the PS3 as a blu player is that it does not support dolby tru-hd audio... but still can do uncompressed PCM audio... but Sony has stated they plan on adding dolby tru-hd support on a future firmware update.

The format war has caused A LOT of confusion among the average consumers as Kor has kind of stated... but now that Warner is blu exclusive... it is a safe bet that blu-ray, love it or hate it, will become the HD physical media format. With Blu-ray version 1.1 blu now has all of the features that HD-DVD had.

Next week is CES and all the big hollywood studios and electronics companies will be debuting their big plans. In light of the Warner bro's announcement... the HD-DVD group has cancelled their attendence at CES. We'll also be hearing a lot about the future of blu-ray and how the big companies plan on making it the new standard.

Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:48 am
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

The whole thing is an irritating mess.

I second that... this whole thing has been shit for the consumer and the production companies... through all of this, HD media only owns 2.5% of disc sales... so there is a long way to go yet.

Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:49 am

Just wait a bit more Az until the blu-ray players are all supporting the full blu-ray standard instead of the 1.0 version.

Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:40 pm

What about the PS3? I hear there will be a firmware upgrade to bring it up to the latest version. Although I'm not sure if the PS3 will give as good sound as a dedicated player will.

Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:53 pm

What about the PS3? I hear there will be a firmware upgrade to bring it up to the latest version. Although I'm not sure if the PS3 will give as good sound as a dedicated player will.

If the PS3 gets an update for Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD then sound wont be an issue. As long as it can ouput the un decoded signal down HDMI to an receiver\amp capable of decoding the sound it wont be any different to any other player, thats the advantage of digital audio. (P.S the average price for a receiver capable of decoding trueHD and DTS-HD is around $2000)

Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:07 pm

Cool, the TV I'm looking at comes with a free PS3 so that was my only concern with it. I'll probably be spending a bit more on sound as that will last me for a while longer than the TV or PS3 will.

Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:34 pm

New Line officially gone Blu-Ray only now:

http://www.kotaku.com.au/games/2008/01/ ... luray.html

I don't think it'll be long before the other companies fold and go the same way.

Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:01 pm
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

The PS3 is up to date with all the current stand-alone players. But yeah... it may be smart to wait a bit for a stand-alone that will support the new final 2.0 standard... panasonic unveiled some of there's that are 2.0 today as a matter of fact at CES.

Onkyo makes a decent reciever that is 7.1 and supports all the hi-deff audio formats... including Dolby Tru-HD etc... its the Onkyo 705. The reason this one is so special is because its NOT $2000, but can at many places be found for $600-$800

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR705-Ch ... 896&sr=8-3

Edit: Btw... www.blu-ray.com is a great site to get the latest info and tips for getting the most out of blu-ray... im a member there and I learn a lot and any/all my questions are answered.

Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:06 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 959 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 64  Next