It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:34 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
War 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Glad you guys apped.. looks like Homon is going to get approved, so that'll be 4 of us so far..

I'm pretty happy with THC so far. Ya'll probably remember how annoyed I was with the TDA "hay guyz. I luvs you.. emo emo emo" drivel that had infected the guild chat for so long.. going on and on and on.. There's really none of that.

Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:42 am
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Alright, it's official. Bought me a copy during lunch today. I'll get it installed and get a char created tonight, although got plans at 830 so wont have much time to game til later in the weekend.

Rhalin.

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:36 am
Profile WWW
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

So... got about an hour in, give or take this evening, and so far so good. I think it looks great, the combat system, so far, didn't seem clunky at all.

I haven't gotten into anything too serious yet, and only almost rank3, but I was pleased.

And my char looks like a badass... :)

Can't wait to jam some more, but off to the bars for me.

Rhalin.

Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:22 pm
Profile WWW
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Speaking of balls to the wall CPU hogs...

There should be "Minimum system requirements: 4ghz c2d" on the box. It's beyond ridiculous.

Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:24 am

The game is far from optimised - as I said last night to my guildies, it's the last part of the dev. process and this rushed launch has impacted that.

Tip: Turn grass & shadows off for starters. This will help significantly.

Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:47 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's also a major memory hog.. and I think there's a leak. Playing 5 minutes, total utilization is like 1.3 gig.. after playing for a while, I look and it's 1.8.

Another weird thing I'm seeing is tha the game hitches every few seconds.. like it completely stops for a quarter second or something. I've turned the graphics down to bare minimum and it still does it.

Pretty annoying.

Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:09 pm
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Another weird thing I'm seeing is tha the game hitches every few seconds.. like it completely stops for a quarter second or something. I've turned the graphics down to bare minimum and it still does it.

Pretty annoying.

Oh god yes.

Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:18 pm
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Alright, I've gotten a few more hours in and have some thoughts. Currently I'm rank 6 with RR of 3.

First off, the nitpicky stuff.

I don't like how everytime I log in I have to accept the EULA. Not sure if somethings broke on my machine or if this is just how they wanted it to be... /shrug, it's annoying.

For the most part the character animations are good, except for when falling... It just doesn't look right.

OK, now for some more of the meaty stuff.

Combat:

At first it didn't seem too clunky. Mostly cause I had one spell and I was just spamming it, no big deal. Now I have three offensive spells that I use. One has a 5s cooldown, and the others... who the fuck knows... I can't tell if there's a global cool down or if I can just go to town. The bar changes to a 1.5s cooldown, but then I hit another button and my spell seems to cast anyway, it's very strange.

I do like that most of my spells are instant cast, it's just hard to figure out when I can and cannot cast them.

The action points thing is strange too. Some times I feel like I can cast all day and never run out, and other times I seem to drain through it in no time.

RvR:

I like it. I've only done the first zone, I forget what it's called, but I like how it scales me to rank 8 instead of having to play at rank 3-6 or whatever I was when I queued in.

Each battle I've been able to get in the top 2 or 3 of healing, and I imagine if I was actually lvl 11 I would have better heals and be able to top the charts. It's really fun to heal in this game, as most things are instant cast, so I can stay mobile.

Public Quests:

These are so much fun. I really like competing for the top spots and getting the loot bags. It's just a fun way to do the same thing we're used to. Kill x bad guys... but do so in such a way that's different, new, and fun.

Regular questing and lvling:

Seems pretty steady so far. I haven't been lost or searching for quests... I like how you get xp from the RvR stuff and how that when you queue for RvR you can do it from anywhere, and when you're done, you're right back where you started. So you can easily transfer between RvR and regular questing.

The quests are the same as always, kill x guys, get x items, etc, but that's fine. What I like the best is how the map glows red at spots that you have quests to do. No more thottbot or allakhazam needed. It's great and I can't understand why every other game up to this point thought players wanted to "figure shit out themselves". We don't, I want to go someplace, kill x guys, and move on. I don't want to wander through the world looking for grey wolves that drop grey wolf bladders so I can give them to some nub... I just want to do it. So A+ to WAR for that.

Final Thoughts:

So, anyway, what I've done so far I've really enjoyed. I'm really looking forward to getting a bit bigger and doing more RvR, and some of the PvE content. What's the lowest level dungeon?

More to come as I play more.

Rhalin.

Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:38 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm having a hard time finding enough people for the chapter 8 PQ's. It's like a ghost town.. I might just skip it.

Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:04 pm
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

I'm sure we could get a guild grp to do it.

/shrug

Rhalin.

Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:18 pm
Profile WWW

What are the specs on your machine? I just upgraded my vid. card drivers to ForceWare 177.92 - worked wonders. Still have grass & shadows off, but I've forced v-sync & trilinear filtering in my graphics card options (ie. not in WAR), which made a marked improvement.

Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:20 pm
Profile WWW
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

It seems to be a cpu issue, not a gpu one. Visually there's not much going on.

Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:42 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

What are the specs on your machine?

Quad @ 3.2ghz.. 2 gig mem and a 8800GTX (oc'd a bit).

I installed 177.92, forced v-sync on and trilinear filtering, and it's running really well now. No more hitching. I've also noticed there was a patch since last I played it.. not sure if that had anything to do with it.

I'm not using any AF or AA now.. and I'll try adding a bit of each and see how it affects things.. but so far it's much improved. That's with everything in-game maxed at 1920x1200.

Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:52 pm

I installed 177.92, forced v-sync on and trilinear filtering, and it's running really well now. No more hitching. I've also noticed there was a patch since last I played it.. not sure if that had anything to do with it.

Good to hear - Mythic seem to be slowly improving the performance as well, but I found V-Sync & Trilinear Filtering to have a big effect even before the small patch.

Quote:
I'm not using any AF or AA now.. and I'll try adding a bit of each and see how it affects things.. but so far it's much improved. That's with everything in-game maxed at 1920x1200.

You probably don't need AA with that resolution - though you can always turn it on for kicks. Your card would be able to handle 2x-4x without anything more than a 2-4% drop in framerate (at most). Anisotropic Filtering just makes textures look cleaner - especially at range.

Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:06 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ya.. I turned AF to 16x and I'm leaving AA off. Basically, everything is maxed as much as it can be now. I've also moved that slider thing all the way to the right, but I don't know that it's having any effect. My FPS float from 30-60 now.. but you'd think that with my hardware it should be pegged at 60. The game really isn't that graphically intensive. Turning on AF doesn't seem to have had any impact on frame rate.. As Darvon said, that would be explained if it's a CPU issue that's causing problems.

I did some looking on the warhammer alliance forums, and it appears this "hitching" issue is rather widespread. The problem, as it always is, is that a lot of people confuse different aspects of frame rate issues. A lot of people hi-jack the "hitching" threads with "omg I has uber comp and get lots of lag" type posts. It's not helpful.

At least now I get playable frame rates without the game freezing entirely every 10 seconds or so.

Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:16 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next