It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:52 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76  Next
Music Videos 

Post Re: Music Videos

Two more sleeps for the Gojira/Mastodon gig. Fucking pumped.

Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:45 am

So went and saw Mastodon and Gojira last night, was sold out. Kvelertak were pretty good and had a lot of energy but 3 guitarists seemed a bit of overkill really. Unless 2 of them continually fuck up or something.

Was awesome to see Gojira live finally, wish their set was a bit longer though. Sounded great and really vibed off the audience. Also, they have to be the first supporting band I've seen to get an encore.

Mastodon were great as well, they've improved a lot (especially vocally) since I saw them when they were supporting Slayer back in 07. Technique was a bit off in a couple of songs but overall pretty good.

Can't wait to see them again at Soundwave on Friday :)

Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:12 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Track off the new Meshuggah album. Sounds pretty good. I think I'm going to by the special edition version for this one.. has some 'making of' DVD or other with it that might be interesting.

I've heard some of the new Soulfly album, and agree it is a lot heavier than the older stuff. I like it. I need to get the entire album though.. but agree that video is pretty.. I dunno.. I get what the director was trying to do, but it just didn't work.

Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:19 am

Yeah I've heard a couple of the new Meshuggah tracks, they sound pretty good. Think they're going to play some of them on Friday which will be good to hear. My friend asked me last night if I wanted to go to the Meshuggah and Devin Townsend sideshow tonight but I don't really want to rock up to work again tomorrow on 4 hours of sleep. I'll just see them at Soundwave.

Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:31 pm

So went to Soundwave a couple of days ago, great festival (even though I got epic sunburn, overcast my ass).

So here's a list of the bands I saw and what I thought:

Times of Grace: heard their album a few times and didn't mind it, has a few of the members from Killswitch Engage so it was decent enough for a starter band. Only reason I saw them was because they were on the adjacent stage to...

Gojira: Pretty much played most of the songs they did on Monday night but was awesome to see them again. They got a great reaction from the crowd too and sounded great. Pity they only got a half hour set.

Heaven Shall Burn: filler band that a friend wanted to see. They sounded okay for Germans I guess but we only caught a couple of songs.

Shadows Fall: again another meh band but only saw them because I was waiting at the other stage for...

Meshuggah: Holy fuck........these guys are amazing live. I was watching the drummer for a good part of the 40 min set, it looks like he has all of his arms and legs going at different tempos. Was incredible to watch. They performed Pravus and Bleed which were my two favourites from their last album and also played one of their new songs from Koloss (same one you posted Micas).

Coal Chamber: First time they've performed in 10 years apparantly, had some new chick on the bass that looked alright. Sounded pretty good, heard a couple of songs that sounded familiar.

In Flames:
most of their set was from their new album so wasn't familiar with a lot of songs. But then they played Cloud Connected and Take This Life which people really responded to. Great crowd reaction and the pit looked pretty nuts as well.

Paradise Lost: walked across the showgrounds to see these guys play a couple of songs. They didn't have much of a crowd and the singer seemed a little pissed off because of it. Needless to say we didn't stay long.

Limp Bizkit: we decided to go see them for the lol's and the fact that we can say we've seen them live. What we didn't expect was the crowd, it went all the way back to the seating area which was at least 100 meters back. Crowd looked like they were going nuts for them too. Caught a couple of songs and then decided to go see the remaining set of...

Mastodon: Again pretty much played the same set as Monday, didn't sound as tight to me though this time. The bassist forgot to sing a few lines and the guitar work got a bit sloppy at points. Was good to see them again though.

Lamb of God: This was the 3rd or 4th time I've seen them live and this was their best gig by far. Crowd went insane for them and there ended up being a massive bottle war for a few songs where people from the adjacent stage were throwing bottles at us and us back at them. Then there was a massive circle pit and finally the wall of death which was pretty insane. Highlight of the day for me.

Black Label Society: By this point we were pretty tired, so we got some food and watch Zakk Wylde from the seats. Seemed alright apart from the wanky 5 minute guitar solo. Just play another song Zakk.

Devin Townsend:
Another highlight of the day, had the crowd going the entire time and was very entertaining. Set went for 40 mins but seemed a lot shorter than that. I need to listen to some of his earlier solo work though as he covered a fair bit of that and it sounded great.

Machine Head:: Only got to see the first two songs as we wanted to leave before the giant crowds were thinking the same thing. They ended up playing the first two songs from the new album and they sounded fantastic live. Great lighting effects as well. Need to see them again next time they're down for sure.

All in all a great day, was very well organised and easy to find your way around to the different areas. Second time I've been to SW and I'll definately be going again next year.

Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:13 am

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com.au/pag ... _id=117529

Storm Corrosion is the official title of the Mikael Akerfeltd/Steve Wilson side project and they've been signed to Roadrunner. From the sounds of it, it's going to be pretty similar to both of their recent efforts. Heritage has grown on me a bit and I do like Grace for Drowning so will be interesting to see what they come up with. Hopefully they tour as well, that would be pretty amazing.

Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:22 am

Mikael must be getting pretty mellow on the weed, second album cover in a year thats a bit.....yeah.

Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:09 pm

New Meshuggah album has been leaked. Listened to it a few times and like it a lot, has more of a groove to it than their previous stuff yet there's a few songs on here that are quite heavy as well. The final track as an instrumental is also a good way to finish off the album. There aren't really a lot of standout songs for me so far apart from The Demons Song is Surveillance but overall the album is growing on me more and more after each listen. 4/5 from me.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:02 pm
says Hi!
says Hi!

Gotye- Hearts a Mess

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvbSiQZfACQ&feature=fvst

"Love means pretending to pay attention"

Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:29 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

I got an email update with shows coming to Dallas - and this one of the bands.. playing at the same place Opeth plays when they're here. This is, apparently, not a joke. It's worth watch to the end.

I need to get the Meshuggah album... but glad you had a good time at the show. I haven't been to one since Opeth was here in October.. but then I've got some fucked up ringing in my ears shit going on right now that I'm seeing a neurologist for.. and no.. it has nothing to do with having listened to heavy metal music for 30 years at too loud a volume. And no, it wasn't Opeth that did it to me even though it came on suddenly a couple weeks after the show.. maybe the shitty opening band or something did it.

But ya.. apparently neurologists are like voodoo witch doctors. My guy says that maybe half the patients they treat they can actually diagnose. The rest they treat the symptoms and hope they get better. I'm in the latter category. I think I have a slow CSF leak - he does not... but if it's not pretty much gone in 2 months, I'm going have him do a blood patch. It's like a spinal tap (har), but instead of drawing fluid out, they inject blood they've already taken out of you into your spinal column with the hope it plugs the leak.

Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:26 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jesus H. Christ.. Opeth is doing a show here in a couple weeks..
Apr 19 PALLADIUM Dallas, TX

WTF? Is it a copy of the last show? Mastadon is opening.

There's some really good live videos at opeth.com now.. cool shit.

Good god.. was looking at the Wilson mash-up I did and saw;

Artist: Steven Wilson
Playing at House of Blues, Dallas - Fort Worth on Apr 9, 2012

Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:40 pm

Nice, I'd like to see Steve Wilsons solo stuff live. Not sure when he'll be down here next, probably after PT release their next album.

Opeth would be good to see again too, especially if you haven't seen Mastodon live before. They were great when they toured down here a few weeks ago.

Steel Panther actually played at Soundwave as well but had to miss them because Gojira were on at the same time. They seem like they'd be entertaining enough to watch though.

Sucks to hear about the op. I've got mild tinnitus in my ears from all the gigs I've been to. I try and use ear plugs now when I go to gigs which reduces the amount of ringing I get in my ears after gigs. Plus it makes the sound a little cleaner as well so it's easier to listen to. Probably should have worn them from the start but can't do much about it now.

And definately get the new Meshuggah album, it's extremely good.

Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:50 pm

Not as bad as I thought it might be. Quite like the video for it as well.

Seems the album is out and about too.

Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:54 pm

So we have a radio station in Australia that gets a musician or band in every Friday morning to do a cover version of another musician or bands song. These guys did a cover of an INXS song which I think is one of the best covers I've heard, to the point where I'd say it's better than the original.

The band that's covering the song is Husky and I ended up checking out their album from last year. It's one of those albums where I immediately liked every song on the first listen. Really recommend people give it a go, it's called Forever So.

Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:01 pm

These guys are quite talented, up there with Fleet Foxes in my opinion.

Sat May 12, 2012 3:15 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76  Next