It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:01 pm

web hosting and these forums - We are back up and running 

Post web hosting and these forums - We are back up and running
Hi All,

You all may or may not remember me, I was once known as Tarasil, the mystery roommate of Rhalin back in the day. I'm also known as one who has hosted and occasionally maintained this forum.

I found out two days ago that my 5 year hosting contract is up on August 23rd. After reviewing the pricing schemes at my current host I have been forced to consider the future of my hosting needs. I do very little with my domains these days, these forums being the majority of my disk space and bandwidth usage, the main source of traffic seams to be from China for some reason, maybe link spammers or something.

Anyway, my options right now are to find a cheaper host and transfer everything over, or no host at all. I'm leaning towards not paying for any sort of hosting, and only keeping my domains with email hosted through google.

This leaves you guys and these forums homeless. If one among you wishes to take over hosting, I can suggest a few places, and I could even assist in getting everything transferred over and set up so that nothing would be lost. It looks like this could be had for as little as $35 a year.

I apologize for the short notice, I haven't kept a good eye on my hosting in the past, since I payed so far in advance.

tl;dr: goodbye tda forums :(

I saved this before posting on lunch, and have changed my mind by the time I got home. I am going to move to a cheap host with a very small plan to keep a few things I do going. I think I can move the forums over, and if I'm feeling really motivated while doing it (or have had enough beers before starting) I might even try to upgrade to the current phpbb software. Are there any requests for new mods/themes/etc while I'm working on it? I'll probably get started this weekend or next week sometime, and the DNS propagation takes 6 hours to 2 days once I start.

When I'm ready to take the backup and start the transfer, I'll take down the forums and put a placeholder letting anyone know what's going on.

Unless of course no one cares and I can just get rid of it all :)

tl;dr: moving hosting companies, some downtime this weekend or next week.

Last edited by Arnado on Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

removed sticky/annoucment

Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:29 pm

Post Re: web hosting and these forums
If need be I'm sure the handful of us that still hang out here can probably chip in for the hosting if it's a problem dude.

Also... Sup.

Good news is, the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show a median latency of forty-four point six years, so if you're thirty or older, you're laughing. Worst case scenario, you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator and it makes a happy face.

Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:16 am
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

This post makes me happy. Let me know if I can be of any assistance during the migration/update.

Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:52 am
Profile WWW

Korakas wrote:
If need be I'm sure the handful of us that still hang out here can probably chip in for the hosting if it's a problem dude.

Sorry, I didn't mean this to sound like I needed donations for the forums, I just wasn't sure if I had the want to continue paying for my hosting, since I use it very little.

--------

So, I need help, with new hosting contract, I get to pick a new domain. I want to pick something clever, but I'm not that clever myself. Below is a list of TLDs I can choose from, if you can make something fun, and maybe a reason to pick it, let me know. For example: bit.ch (taken, unfortunatly), I could have all sorts of fun with that, http://quit.being.a.bit.ch. You can check for existing domains here

.com .net .org .info .biz .name .mobi .tel
.asia .ca .de .in .eu .tv .us .at .be .cc
.ch .cn .dk .fr .li .me .mx .nl .ws .bz .com.cn
.net.cn .org.cn .co .com.co .net.co .nom.co
.co.in .firm.in .gen.in .ind.in .net.in .org.in
.co.uk .ltd.uk .me.uk .net.uk .org.uk .plc.uk

Or any stupid domain/website idea you can come up with, I'm always looking for dumb projects to abandon.

Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:43 pm

If you can see this, the transfer is complete. I've updated to the latest version of phpbb, and added a bunch of new themes. I would suggest trying lucid_lime, or the old clasic, daj_glass hestia. If you need a refresher on how to change your theme, this is an old screenshot I had showing the steps needed to pick a new theme.

Let me know if you guys need anything else, I'll check the forums for a few days to make sure everything is working well, otherwise Rhalin can always get in touch with me.

Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:59 am
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Thanks man, lookin good.

I prefer Maxthon for styles. Been using it for a year or so, works ok. None of them are exactly my taste these days and it's funny to look back at the old themes that we thought we super badass back in the day. :)

Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:18 am
Profile WWW

looks like I missed a table or two from the database related to searching which causes an error while trying to post. I'll look into it when I get home tonight.

Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:25 am

this should work now?

edit: Hooray!

let me know if you notice any other problems.

Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:34 pm

Post Re: web hosting and these forums - We are back up and runnin
Good work, thanks for keeping this going :)

Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:11 pm
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post Re: web hosting and these forums - We are back up and runnin
!

Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:26 pm