It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:20 am

What book are you reading? 

Post What book are you reading?
Thought I'd start up a thread to see what books people are currently reading and people could also make recommendations for books that are worth a read.

I've recently finished the Millennium Trilogy which I enjoyed quite a bit. It did tend to waft on a bit, particularly in the first book but was a very entertaining read in the end with a lot of interesting characters in it. I'll have to check out the movies at some point.

Currently though I'm reading the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. I've heard that HBO will be doing a series on it at some point in the future so I figured I'd check out the books to see what they're like. Just finished the third book the other day and it's very out there, will be interesting to see how it translates into a series as some of it is quite trippy. Going to start the fourth book tonight.

Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:44 pm
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post Re: What book are you reading?
Having finished a Dance with Dragons and anticipating a good 5 years for the next, I began the adventure that is the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I am currently on Book 2 of 10. The first one was hard to get into with a vast new world that was unlike any I'd read about before, lots of strange magic and lots of hard to pronounce names. But towards the end of the first book I was locked in and I am really enjoying them now.

Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:31 am
Profile WWW

Might have to check it out after I'm done with this series. The other series I was looking at reading was the Wheel of Time books, heard they're meant to be pretty good.

Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:59 pm
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Azareus wrote:
Might have to check it out after I'm done with this series. The other series I was looking at reading was the Wheel of Time books, heard they're meant to be pretty good.

I tried reading those years ago, and got through 3 and a half. The first one was pretty slow, but the second one was fantastic, then it slowed down again for a few thousand pages and I gave up.

Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:31 am
Profile WWW

Yeah I've heard that the books can be pretty slow at times. The 8th Dark Tower book came out yesterday so that will keep me busy for a while. Plus I still have a heap of Discworld books to get through as well.

Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:37 pm
Likes pie
Likes pie

Wheel of time can be slow at times. However It keeps getting better in my opinion and is quite epic. Takes quite a while to set up a story line that vast i suppose. All of the books co written by Brandon Sanderson have been excellent. Additionally check out Brandon Sanderson's mistborn trilogy. It's quite good and very different from the standard magic / sci fi books. Also you can download and read his warbreaker book for free from his website. (Including all the drafts so you can get an idea how he develops his books if your into that sort of thing) He was making a point about DRM being useless to his publisher I believe.

Also, the song of ice and fire series by George R R Martin is quite good, and a series on HBO. I'm halfway through book two at the moment.

Sword of truth series by Terry Goodkind was quite good as well.

You should also read some of the classics if you haven't, 1984, Fahrenheit 451, Catcher in the Rye, the Count of Montecristo, etc. or anything that's been banned before is usually decent.

I read a lot if you can't tell. :)

Mon May 07, 2012 5:14 pm
Profile WWW
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Sword of Ayn Rand would be a more apt name for the series. Dude just has a single furmulaic story that he repeats over and over again every book. The first one (Wizards First Rule) was pretty good, but only because a pattern of one isn't a pattern yet.

The Goodwin Formula: Every book double the size of the world by unlocking a new area, have the new area contain an ULTIMATE VILLAIN who will end the world if not stopped and is twice as powerful as the ultimate villain from the last book. Also point out how unamerican communism is while contriving a reason to separate all the main characters.

Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:31 am
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Can't agree with Darvon more. The sword of truth books started out decent at best and swiftly got to just plain crap. I think I read 3 of them and started the fourth before deciding that I was using valuable reading time by reading terrible books.

Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:04 am
Profile WWW
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

To my shame I think I got to the fifth or sixth..? In my defence my Dad likes them so they were lying around my house when I'd visit anyway so it's not like I paid for them or anything :P

Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:38 pm

I'm up to the fifth Dark Tower book now. The last one was pretty painful to get through and took me over a month to read (Stephen King should not write romance novels, period). This book seems to get things back on track for the general story and has been pretty good so far. It'll be interesting to see how HBO makes a series out of this, it's pretty trippy in general and incorporates a lot of different cultures and time lines.

Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:29 pm

I challenge someone to read this.

http://www.amazon.com/Control-Christian ... im_sbs_b_9

Internet glory awaits you.

Good news is, the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show a median latency of forty-four point six years, so if you're thirty or older, you're laughing. Worst case scenario, you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator and it makes a happy face.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:44 pm

Got a bit bored with the Dark Tower again and decided to try something different. Started reading the first Jack Reacher book, really good read so far. Kind of like a murder mystery and an action movie tied in with some twists and turns.

I've heard they're bringing a movie out with Tom Cruise starring. In the book the character is over 6 foot tall and between 200-220 pounds. I think Tom is a little smaller than those figures ;)

Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:48 pm
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulacra_and_Simulation

Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:47 am