It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:40 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Upgrading PC - opinions needed 

Post Re: Upgrading PC - opinions needed
Well finally managed to get everything cabled and clean last night. Chucked it into auto OC mode and it pushed out to about 4.2ghz already with no voltage adjustments. It was hovering around 1.18 i think so theres still a lot of headroom to go. Idle temps around 32C, prime95 pushes cores 0 and 3 to ~48C and cores 1 and 2 to ~58C. I may have messed up the thermal paste, I'll have to see if I can be stuffed next week doing it all again. My fans on my CPU heatsink aren't properly attached anyway, I stupidly put the motherboard into the case before attaching the fans and it was a mighty struggle to get them to hook up to the retention clips.

Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:11 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

I learned the "mount the HS/fan to the mb before putting it in the case" lesson on my last build.

Can you check to see what stepping you got? I'm pretty sure I have my parts list nailed down.. checking a couple more things before buying.

Is the black caviar raid functional?

Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:59 pm

I didn't bother putting it in a RAID. Was a bit strange actually, the intel raid controller wasn't responding to the hotkey on boot. I could have swapped it to the marvell controller but it was getting late and I couldn't be stuffed opening up the case again.

I won't be able to check stepping until I get home on Sunday, but from what I've read, all the retail chips are D2 and better for OC'ing than the D1 review units anyway.

Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:50 pm

Doesn't look like many people have managed to break 5ghz with prime/linx stable, just superpi stable.
I'd probably only run it at 4.4-4.5 for general use anyway.

Have you had a look at the OCZ Revo V2 / OCZ IBIS drives? they put all the other SSDs to shame with those speeds, albeit with twice the pricetag.

Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:28 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good to hear the stepping on the released cpu's is D2. I've also read they respond much better to over clocking. I looked at a bunch of SSDs and decided it's just not worth it right now, so I'm going with the mechanicals in raid 0 and keeping one of my raptors in the case to back up to. I'm going with an upgrade instead of a completely new build and use what is apparently the most ridiculous air cooler on the planet.

I order this just a bit ago, should be here next Tuesday.

ASUS P8P67 EVO LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - $200
2x G.SKILL Ripjaws X + Turbulence II Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) - $280
Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler - $90
2x Seagate Barracuda XT ST32000641AS 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s - $340
Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz - $330

The memory is cas 7, quite a piece of work really. Super fast with massive bandwidth, that G.SKILL says was engineered specifically for Sandy Bridge.

I'm going to order another GTX460 as well for SLI. The EVGA FTW edition 850/2000 clocked that I have now is very nice, and I'm ordering another for $220. It should work well.. I figure I'll target 4.5mhz and see how it goes after that. I've done a bit of work to my case to improve the airflow so theoretically I should get really good temps. That Noctua is a beast. The memory comes with fans, but I'm going to have to see if it's even necessary or possible. The Noctua intake hangs over the edge of the ram modules anyway, and sucking in enough air to power a small jet should keep the cooler air moving over the ram.

I've already got some front panel usb and firewire ports that I can plug into the mother board, and I have no idea what supports usb 3.0 anyway. I guess if I get an HD video camera at some point, it might be worth getting a front panel connect for usb 3.0 if that's the standard for video devices. I'll worry about that later.

I'm pretty excited to put it together. I've been watching videos and reading a lot. Speaking of thermal paste, the Noctua comes with some, but I've got a tube of AS5 left over from my last build. It's nice stuff, but reviews indicate the Noctua paste it also high caliber - I'll probably use the Noctua since it's not been sitting around for 4 years in a closet. It used to be that you'd put a paper thin layer on top of the cpu, spread evenly out nearly (but not quite) to the edges. The Noctua reviews I watched on youtube had the reviewers just putting basically a dot right in the middle of the cpu and setting the HS down on top of it. I'm not sure that would properly spread it out and fill the pores or not.

The only real concern I have at this point is the power supply. I'm using a PC Power and Cooling S61EPS 610W unit, and it's been pro for my system since I bought it. I'm just going to be pushing more power now, with 3 drives and another video card.. not to mention the CPU itself - although that might actually use less power than the Q6600.. I'm not sure. I guess I will find out.

Here's hoping for no DOA parts. The only thing I'm dreading is the W7 install and update. Oh.. and I've read that using the Intel SATA ports is much better than the Marvel ports.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:07 am

Micas wrote:
I figure I'll target 4.5mhz and see how it goes after that. I've done a bit of work to my case to improve the airflow so theoretically I should get really good temps.

BLAZING SPEEEED!!! :D

Micas wrote:
Oh.. and I've read that using the Intel SATA ports is much better than the Marvel ports.

Yeah I will always use the Intel controller before using the tacked on controller. Theres a great Intel disk management utility available if your going to RAID again.

Good news is, the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show a median latency of forty-four point six years, so if you're thirty or older, you're laughing. Worst case scenario, you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator and it makes a happy face.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:30 am
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Micas wrote:
2x G.SKILL Ripjaws X + Turbulence II Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM - $280

I've got some Monster Cables to sell you if you're interested dude. :lol:

Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:35 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Darvon wrote:
Micas wrote:
2x G.SKILL Ripjaws X + Turbulence II Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM - $280

I've got some Monster Cables to sell you if you're interested dude. :lol:

So ya.. for comparison sake, I just checked and 8 gig (2x4) of DDR3 1600 CAS 9 memory can be had at newegg for about $110. I bought 8 gig of what is arguably the fastest ram on the planet for $280, because I happen to be pretty well off and I wanted to see how it would go. I didn't really set the cash on fire. (Oh.. I'll probably spend nearly that much on dinner tonight so I don't give a rats ass)

However, I will agree that I did find it ironic that I spent nearly the same amount for the ram that I did the CPU - and the CPU is one of the most complex things mankind has ever created.

You're just a jealous bitch anyway.. lol... so how's uni going?

Adding.. that I just checked the memory I bought on Newegg and it's now sold out. I had been refreshing the newegg page every 15 minutes or so yesterday waiting for that exact module to show up and finished up my order quickly after being able to select it. My order hasn't shipped yet, and I'm hoping I don't get what Phaded got on his original CPU order... which is hosed.

Apparently there are a lot of people that are bundling that memory with monster cables.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:24 am
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

I'll admit I missed the 2x at beginning. Thought you'd payed straight up $280 for 4gb, lol.

Even still, even in (non-memory-only) benchmarking the performance difference wont be more than like 1% between that and normal $20 per stick ram. Memory hasn't mattered since the time of multiplier locked athlons needing to run memory at 1:1. If I remember correctly, even then the difference between running ram at stock and tightening up all the timings was something like super-pi going from 31s to 29s or something.

...and uni's going fine, couple of months left. :P

Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:06 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, yes.. I realize that. I even read a review that said basically.. "look at my cock, how huge it is" type of thing about the ram I bought and its massive bandwidth and the reviewer actually reccomended buying CAS9 1600 instead, but at this point in my life, I look at things in these terms. If the difference between something that is the very best and something that is just good enough is less than 1k, then I almost always buy the very best thing... as long as there is a decent demonstrable difference. The HDMI cables in my home theatre are inexpensive, but they work exactly the same as the expensive monster cables. No point in buying the expensive cables if they function exactly the same.

Anyway.. that's why I bought the ram. Right now you might be asking yourself.. hey.. he bought another GTX460 instead of going with the most expensive video card in SLI and putting the existing GTX460 in that box in the closet that has a bunch of other perfectly useable computer gear that costs more than what most people in Guatemala make in a year. That's perfectly true. I'm kind of inconsistent about that sort of thing, but when I bought the ridiculously clocked 460, it was pushing close to stock 480 numbers and wasn't breathing fire on the motherboard. So, I guess I'm violating my own rules and getting another of the cooler (and cheaper) yet still really fast 460s to try SLI again. I hated the SLI results last time I tried it, with the 8800 GT's, but the hardware and drivers have matured so I think it'll work well.

Right.. so.. most of the new parts shipped friday, and the CPU went out today (on a sunday, that seems odd) so I guess I'll have them wednesday or Thursday. I've been thinking about how I wanted to handle the windows reinstall. I've done quite a bit of tweaking and the like and I don't think it's bloated at all so what I'm going to do is use windows backup to create an image of my existing system onto an external hd I have, put the new parts in, create the raid and use the system restore DVD I made to bring the image back onto the new system. It should fire right up and I'll be able to load the new drivers and be good to go with minimal hassle. I'm not sure if I want to partition the 4 gig space or not.. I probably won't.

And Australia must have the most grueling phd programs on the planet. Seems I've known you for like 6 years or something and that entire time you've been working on it... lol

Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:36 am

With the Asus motherboards, as soon as you get them, you need to reset the cmos and manually set memory timings. They do something weird with the memory and fail to boot after a cold shutdown unless you do that and also flash the new BIOS.
I tried running at 4.4 on a pretty low voltage (around 1.27) last night and it blue screened after 20 minutes of prime95. Trying to find a balance between speed and voltage for 24/7 stable. Pushing the voltage past 1.3 increases the heat a significant amount.

In other news, I have a new appreciation for Battlefield Bad Company 2. I got bored of the game because it was a struggle to run it at decent speeds on my old machine (Q6600 / GTX 275) It would always fluctuate between 60 and 30 fps. Now it runs at a constant 60 and its like playing a new game. Had some steam issues when I tried to copy over my old CoD Black Ops files, and I'm still in the middle of redownloading that.

Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:18 pm
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Micas wrote:
Right now you might be asking yourself.. hey.. he bought another GTX460 instead of going with the most expensive video card

...Get out of my head.

Anyway, I think South Africa probably has the most grueling postgrad programs. It's something like average 3 years for a masters and 6 years for a PhD.

And 6 years ago I was a semester or two into my bachelor. Depending on how you count it, I've been a postgrad from 3 years or less and I'm practically done. I destroyed that PhD.

Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:20 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Phaded wrote:
Pushing the voltage past 1.3 increases the heat a significant amount.

Did you end up reseating your heat sink - might help with the heat? Good tip on the mb.. I assume I can flash it from the bios itself, or do I have to have an operating system up and running to be able to do it? Also.. just confirming you got a D2?

Very good to hear about your BFBC2 results. I've actually been playing it quite a bit the last couple months on my Q6600 as well, and notice the same fluctuations. It'll be awesome to play it with zero fps lag.

Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:05 pm
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

You should totally justify your entire life to Darvon now Micas. 10 page paper on my desk first thing tomorrow.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:13 am

Does this mean that in a few month we will need to start calling you Doctor? Cause I'm totally down with that if you get your own TARDIS.

Good news is, the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show a median latency of forty-four point six years, so if you're thirty or older, you're laughing. Worst case scenario, you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator and it makes a happy face.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:30 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next