It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:57 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Upgrading PC - opinions needed 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Re: Upgrading PC - opinions needed
Korakas wrote:
http://3dmark.com/3dm11/520305

Ran this again on the latest AMD drivers, gave a little boost. Still doesnt detect my CPU correctly, leaves off the extra multiplier from turbo boost.

I think sometimes they tweak for benchmarks. I did read that there was some shenanigans going on with AMD drivers. Didn't pay too close attention because it's not Nvidia.. That's still a really good score regardless.

I dialed back the oc on my SB to 4.8 to ease off the voltage a tad. It's pretty nice. I'm still blown away by SSD speeds from the raid, and the ridiculous small file xfer speeds. The 2TB caviar green came in today, and it installed and formatted right up. I've got the full backup going every day now, so that's a relief.

The only issue with the manual voltage is that it doesn't reduce with the CPU downclocks. If it's at 1.4v, it's at 1.4 regardless of the CPU load. That's been raised as an issue to Asus and I hope they release a bios revision that will let you set a voltage for both the normal and turbo multipliers. I'm not really thrilled with running 1.4v constantly, though I doubt that'll cause much problem.

Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:59 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Looks like the SB chipsets are borked. Intel issued a press release that indicates HD failures are inc.. but from what I'm reading, this is only related to the SATA2 ports, (2-5) and the eSATA port on the back panel.

I have my raid on the SATA3 ports (0-1), and my backup drive and optical on the marvel ports.. so I think it should be okay. If Asus does a complete recall on the original boards, I'll probably send mine in for replacement even though it doesn't look like I'll be affected.

In any case, I'd switch over to the SATA3 ports if you haven't already set it up that way Phaded.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4142/inte ... ins-recall

Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:04 am

I'm usin the intel sata3 ports. When I get an ssd later in the year I'll probably put it on the marvell controller

Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:22 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
New 1302 UEFI code entered qualification testing this morning. However, due to the Chinese New Year holiday break we will not see this code (provided it passes testing) until later next week. This code will contain updates for Power Management settings, enhanced memory performance, improved XMP profiles (for P67 specific memory kits), enhanced OC profiles, improved SATA performance, USB enhancements, and a couple of user suggested interface enhancements.

Hope the XMP profile for my memory works. I really don't want to rebuild, so there's a very high likelyhood that I'll just keep the motherboard instead of swapping it out to fix a port I don't use.

Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:00 pm

So it looks like my new video card thats only a few months old is shagged.

I've started to notice some screen tearing in games and I'm getting occasional lockups as well. The display driver has also stopped responding on me once as well. I've tried reinstalling the latest nVidia driver but no luck. This looks like it has the same symptoms as one of my older nVidia cards that eventually died.

Anyone know if theres some sort of diagnostics program I can run to prove that its faulty? I'm going to send an email to Centrecom but would be good to have some form of proof.

Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:52 am
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

You can usually get a RMA no questions asked going directly through the manufacturer.

Never tried bringing a part back to the retailer before.

Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:57 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'd check for artifacts with

http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/

Works with nvidia and ATI cards. It's kind of old, but will expose artifacting for you. It says it'll work in 64 bit OS, but I've not actually tried it.

One thing you might check. Temps.. is it over heating? Is the fan on the GPU clear of obstructions.. actually moving air, etc. If you don't have a program to check temps, I'd suggest EVGA Precision.

Phaded - new Asus bios is released.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1578865

Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:14 am

I'll check temps but doesn't seem to be overheating from feeling inside the case. It gets decent enough airflow.

I'll try those programs out but apparantly the company I bought it from has a 12 month warranty on all their parts so probably just have to ship it back to them.

Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:23 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7