It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:16 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 660 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next
Heroes of Newerth and other new games 

Post Re: Heroes of Newerth and other new games
Well looks like May 15th is Diablo 3 day. Even though us Aussies got price gouged again, I've ordered the digital copy.

Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:13 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

D3 servers were down for quite a while, but came up again yesterday. I played a demon hunter through, and it is exactly like the mage except it uses ranged weapons instead of ranged spells. So.. it would just be an appearance thing that would decide which of the two to pick. The warrior is exactly like the monk, leaving the only class I haven't tried yet being the witch doctor. I'm guessing the witch doctor is more akin to wow's hunter class.. pet's and range attack. They could have just compressed it down to 3 class.. melee, ranged, and witch doctor. The demon hunter has disengage and a short invisibility thing... which would probably make it the class of choice for pvp. The CC isn't quite as good as the mage, but close.

Anyway.. I just can't get over how homogenized the classes are and how boring the skill sets are. I'm sure there are a lot more cool skills as you level up, but it's weird the way you can only have 4 active at any one time. I don't think I'm going to buy it on release. If it gets some good reviews and some people I know play it.. I might go ahead and get it.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:57 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

A photograph of the Audi DTM on the PCH, or a screen shot from Project CARS? Hmmm

Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:11 pm
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Micas wrote:
D3 servers were down for quite a while, but came up again yesterday. I played a demon hunter through, and it is exactly like the mage except it uses ranged weapons instead of ranged spells. So.. it would just be an appearance thing that would decide which of the two to pick. The warrior is exactly like the monk, leaving the only class I haven't tried yet being the witch doctor. I'm guessing the witch doctor is more akin to wow's hunter class.. pet's and range attack. They could have just compressed it down to 3 class.. melee, ranged, and witch doctor. The demon hunter has disengage and a short invisibility thing... which would probably make it the class of choice for pvp. The CC isn't quite as good as the mage, but close.

Anyway.. I just can't get over how homogenized the classes are and how boring the skill sets are. I'm sure there are a lot more cool skills as you level up, but it's weird the way you can only have 4 active at any one time. I don't think I'm going to buy it on release. If it gets some good reviews and some people I know play it.. I might go ahead and get it.

I finally found an evening to sit down and play through the beta. I played a barbarian, I did enjoy it quite a bit. The item progression was good, the game is very basic, and on normal was very easy. Once I got cleave, everything was just dead in seconds. I used one potion in the entire beta, on the end boss, and not because I had to, but because I had several and wanted to see what it was like.

All in all, I like it, I'm eager to try another class, and see how the game progresses, see if it's any fun multiplayer, etc. We shall see... few months yet until it comes out.

After Barbarian, what would you reckon is the next best class to try out? I doubt I'll find enough time to play each class through.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:06 pm
Profile WWW

I played Wizard after Barbarian which I liked a lot. I'm giving Monk a go through now and then I want to try out the Witch Doctor.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:38 pm
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Azareus wrote:
I played Wizard after Barbarian which I liked a lot. I'm giving Monk a go through now and then I want to try out the Witch Doctor.

Yeah, I started a wizard. pretty fun laser spell so far, only had about a half hour to play before bed, but I liked it. It's nice that you can share gold and items, makes it easier to start a new char.

What I really liked about the beta too was crawling through the dungeon with Lieutenant Malcolm Reed from Star Trek Enterprise. :D

Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:20 am
Profile WWW
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Finished the beta with the Wizard... it was fun, but I found myself using the close combat stuff a lot more than the ranged.

The whirlwind spell completely dominates, combined with the diamond plate absorb spell. And I used the 3 random electric bolts for my free spell.

I basically walked straight through and just dominated everything. It was fun, but I definitely enjoyed the barbarian better. I did get lucky and crafted a pretty nice wand for the Wizard though.

I think I'll try the Demon Hunter next, I don't have a lot of interest in the monk or the witch doctor, but we'll see.

The beta really is a tease. 3-4 hours on first play through, closer to 2 now. And all i want is more. More skills, more levels, and more gear.

I like a good dungeon crawler, mostly a mindless adventure accumulating more gear, and if the story is good it's usually enough to keep me entertained. It's not that I don't like games that make me think or actually have some skill level, but it's nice to be able to come home and turn off the brain a bit and just destroy a bunch of digital spawns from hell. And get phat lootz.

Anyway, so far I'm really enjoying it, I'll try a few more classes out, and will most likely be getting it when it goes live in May.

Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:48 am
Profile WWW
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Oh right, one thing I found odd, and I'm sure it'll change as you gain levels, but with the Wizard, it didn't seem to matter than I was trouncing around in leather armor with a huge ass shield.

Typically in these types of games you're very restricted in the types of armor and weapons you can use. I like that they left it pretty open, and use the weapon damage as a factor in the spell damage.

I am interested to see how the item progression goes and what is and what isn't restricted by each class. I hope that stats are going to play a much bigger role as you progress through the game, but so far they didn't really seem to matter.

Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:51 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

All in-game footage created by community members. The first one is a candidate submission to Game Trailers. Project CARS is starting to just get ridiculous, and it's only about 20% done. It's neat to see how they're making it too. They create an item, say a car or a track, and it's very plain and boring and over time it just sort of organically grows. The environments are sparse compared to the final product.. for example, they've been using sprites for trees, and today one of the artists showed off one of the 3D trees. They'll make a bunch of them and then start replacing the sprite trees closer to the track with the new 3D trees. None of the cars has made it to alpha yet either, including that F86 in the second video. You can see the poly count for the wheel rims isn't that good, and the paint is overly reflective, etc. The studio head, Ian, said "Great work... Apart from our 'Stevie Wonder' 3rd person head movement. Need to fix that."

I'm holding off on making a video until the game hits alpha. The weather system will be better than Skyrim, and this is a fucking racing game. Plus, things look a bit sterile now and needs dirtying up, with much more detail that you'd see at a normal track.. track marshals, emergency vehicles, random debris and so on. They're also going to have the best pit stops ever in a racing game. I've seen the model mock ups and they're crazy. It'll get animated and it'll be hard to tell the difference between a video of a real pit stop or the game.

Basically... at the maximum details, the target is to make Kor's 680GTX SLI rig beg for mercy. There's no way this won't sell a fuck-ton. It's looking like the release date is getting pushed to summer 2013 though. Projects always slip, but getting it done by then is still way faster than most AAA games.

Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:48 pm

The system requirements for Max Payne 3 came out today... I call BS on the recommended list. It's like Rockstar went to New Egg and just pulled a list of the most expensive parts each vendor offers.

Max Payne 3 PC System Specifications
Operating System:
Windows 7 32/64 Service Pack 1, Windows Vista 32/64 Service Pack 2, Windows XP 32/64 Service Pack 3
Processor:
Intel Dual Core 2.4 GHZ – i7 3930K 6 Core x 3.06 GHZ / AMD Dual Core 2.6 GHZ – FX8150 8 Core x 3.6 GHZ
RAM:
2GB – 16GB
Video Card:
NVIDIA® 8600 GT 512MB VRAM — NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 680 2GB VRAM / Radeon HD 3400 512MB VRAM – Radeon HD 7970 3GB VRAM
Sound Card:
100% Direct X 9.0 compatible — Direct X 9.0 compatible supporting Dolby Digital Live
HDD Space:
35 GB
DVD Drive

Call me crazy but I don't think this game is going to need a 6 core hyperthreaded SB-E and 16GB of ram, nothing uses 16gb of ram.

Good news is, the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show a median latency of forty-four point six years, so if you're thirty or older, you're laughing. Worst case scenario, you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator and it makes a happy face.

Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:23 pm

Wee Alan Wake's American Nightmare is finally up on Steam for pre-puchase :)

I do like me some Alan Wake, the PC version was a great.

Good news is, the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show a median latency of forty-four point six years, so if you're thirty or older, you're laughing. Worst case scenario, you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator and it makes a happy face.

Tue May 08, 2012 9:17 pm

Soon you to will be able to visit a shitty night club in Sao Paulo :D

Wed May 09, 2012 9:52 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

I pretty much finished Arkam City, including all the side missions.. riddler stuff and all. It's an awesome game. Don't have any desire to to do the challenge maps though. Wish there was some DLC that continued the story.

Thu May 10, 2012 8:32 pm

Micas wrote:
I pretty much finished Arkam City, including all the side missions.. riddler stuff and all. It's an awesome game. Don't have any desire to to do the challenge maps though. Wish there was some DLC that continued the story.

You mean this DLC?

Arkham City was one of the best games last year, although I don't think it's as great as Arkham Asylum which was just about as tight as a drum as far as a game can get. The game didn't flow quite as well from area to area and the Riddler trophy situation was absurd.

Last edited by Korakas on Thu May 10, 2012 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 10, 2012 8:51 pm

Assassin's Creed 3 is looking like it might turn out alright. Revelations was fine but largely irrelevant in the grand scheme of things (although the original musical composition work was great).

Thu May 10, 2012 8:55 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 660 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next