It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:14 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 660 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next
Heroes of Newerth and other new games 
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post Re: Heroes of Newerth and other new games
greymouse wrote:
if you have not read this yet, you should:

http://www.amazon.com/Daemon-Daniel-Suarez/dp/0525951113

I enjoyed that book, and the sequel. Quick easy read, but a lot of fun.

Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:42 am
Profile WWW

Rhalin wrote:
I enjoyed that book, and the sequel. Quick easy read, but a lot of fun.

Tell me if you agree: Micas == Loki.

Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:19 pm
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

greymouse wrote:
Tell me if you agree: Micas == Loki.

With a slightly better moral compass, but yeah. :)

Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:54 am
Profile WWW

A friend gave me a Diablo 3 beta key the other day. Finished a playthrough with the Barbarian, going to play through with the rest of the classes to figure out what I'm going to go with for release. Didn't experience any lag really and the game looks great on my new 27" LED monitor.

Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:26 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

The preliminary work for the weather system is being introduced to Project CARS. In the screenshot threads, there were some side-by-side comparison shots between real life photos and screenshots. It's exceptionally difficult to tell the difference. That particular shot is only given away by the crowd sprites. Eventually they'll LOD the crowd so that it shifts from sprites to models when the camera passes a distance threshold, so they'll look better.

The way they're doing the skydomes is awesome. They're even modelling star movement based on real data tied into day of year and all that. It's just stupid how much effort they're putting into things that drivers will not be looking at that much, which should speak to how much attention they're giving to stuff you do look at constantly.

I've also talked the devs into researching a voice recognition system for driver to crew communications. You push a button, speak into your mic and tell the crew chief that you want an adjustment to the car.. or a certain amount of fuel or tires for pitting, that sort of stuff. They're also implementing a system where the crew calls out to the driver about race conditions.. incoming rain, cars closing in behind.. advice about pushing hard and using up tires, or taking it easy to get more laps.. etc.

This thing is getting nutty, and still about a year before release. If we ship a million units, I'll make about a half million US. I'm sure I'll have steam keys to hand out as well... :)

The original Shift shipped 4 million units btw.. heh

Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:59 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've played through with the barbarian, mage, and monk so far. The classes are homogenized so it doesn't matter which you pick. The only difference is whether it's ranged or melee. You get a single target damage, an aoe damage, and the defensive abilities, all of which are only distinguished between classes by the graphics and sound. They have some WoW style talents of the boring "gain 5% to crit" variety.

The combat is straight forward.. and simple. There are no interesting mechanics on boss fights.. at least not in the beta, so there's not much difference with Diablo 2. D3 has the same sort of look as D2, which isn't very good for a modern game imo, but probably runs very well on old machines. The sound is quite good though. It's not even a "beta" as a beta test is of a feature complete game. What it is, is a game demo. They should just give everyone who wants to try it access.

My bet is that they didn't want to make Diablo 3 good enough to cannibalize WoW subscriptions. It might be an okay game for a casual hack and slash with friends. It does pretty well in that respect.. and it also has that carrot/stick thing with upgrading gear. It's fairly compelling in that sense.. and they made it so you can just spend real money to buy the best gear if you don't want to bother running the same encounters over and over.

I think it's a pretty shitty game to be honest. I'm sure it'll sell many copies.

Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:42 pm

Micas wrote:
It might be an okay game for a casual hack and slash with friends. It does pretty well in that respect.. and it also has that carrot/stick thing with upgrading gear. It's fairly compelling in that sense.. and they made it so you can just spend real money to buy the best gear if you don't want to bother running the same encounters over and over.

I think this is what makes it appealing for me, a casual game that you don't have to spend a lot of time on and still feel like you've accomplished something. The beta does get a bit boring after the 2nd run through but it's worth having just to test out which class you're going to go with. I'm leaning towards Wizard atm.

Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:49 am
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

I would love a beta key if anyone's got one to spare. I'd like to fiddle around w/ each class and see which is more enjoyable.

I'm not looking for much out of D3 other than just a fun hack n slash w/ some item gathering. Not sure how long it will keep my attention, probably not 5 months like Skyrim, but it should be pretty good.

Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:34 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

The trees in pCARS are going to appear different depending on the season.. same goes for grass, etc. I'll be posting a pic of the rolling morning fog on the track when that's added in... or possibly a video of it.

Multiplayer should be coming pretty soon as well. They're going to add a scheduling system in, so that races can be scheduled in advance and signed up. Leagues will also be able to use it, and restrict signups by members of the league. iRacing style ratings will be implemented, but without the very harsh safety rating of iR. It's going to be rated in a different manner.

The top 30 or so lap times for each car/track are going to have the lap data stored on the server, so a person could download the lap and have a ghost car run it. Really cool feature IMO.

It's fun seeing the development of what will be the greatest racing sim in the history of gaming. Forza will seem like a joke in comparison.

Also - metacritic for Mass Effect 3 is amusing. 92 review rating, 2.8 user rating.

Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:13 pm

ME3 is pretty good so far, although there seems to be less dialogue choices than the previous games which is one of the best parts of the game. Still enjoying it a lot so far, this is one game I take my time with and talk with everyone and interact with as much stuff as I can before doing the main storyline.

Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:37 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
As we’re counting down the days until we’re ready to announce a release date for Diablo III, we’ve come to realize that the PvP game and systems aren’t yet living up to our standards. Today, we wanted to let you know that we’ve made the difficult decision to hold back the PvP Arena system and release it in a patch following the game’s launch. After a lot of consideration and discussion, we ultimately felt that delaying the whole game purely for PvP would just be punishing to everyone who’s waiting to enjoy the campaign and core solo/co-op content, all of which is just about complete.

What a joke.. pvp in Diablo 3? You have a choice of like 4 buttons to push. Arena in WoW and you have to master something like 20 different skills. Why it would have any pvp at all is beyond me. They're just going to try and make a rock/paper/scissors game out of it, but gear will decide the game I reckon.

The ME3 metacritic user score has vaulted up to 3.4.. heh. I stopped playing batman when I got more into pCARS, but I want to get back to that. It seems like such a good game and I want to finish it. I also bought the 2 Dead Space games on a steam sale. I hear they're pretty good too.. so I need to stop working so much and play more games.

Oh.. and speaking of wow.. I guess the next expansion is going to have ninja pandas or something like that. Apparently the mass exodus of the western civilization has blizzard targeting china next. Talk about jumping the shark.

Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:33 am

Finished ME3 today, was pretty good right up until the last 10 minutes... which threw an ocean of water on the fire.

That's some un-satisfying stuff for a series of games and a character I've been playing for 5 years.

Good news is, the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show a median latency of forty-four point six years, so if you're thirty or older, you're laughing. Worst case scenario, you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator and it makes a happy face.

Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:22 am

Korakas wrote:
Finished ME3 today, was pretty good right up until the last 10 minutes... which threw an ocean of water on the fire.

That's some un-satisfying stuff for a series of games and a character I've been playing for 5 years.

Yeah I finished it yesterday as well and agree with you. Apparantly the 4 endings turn out to have similar concequences. I don't see how DLC is going to make it any better unless they add another alternative ending or two.

Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:56 pm
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Re: Mass Effect 3 Ending. If you hadn't seen it yet

That coupled with that fucking hoodie kid.

Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:29 am

http://www.gamefront.com/mass-effect-3- ... -are-right

Really well written article on why the endings do indeed suck donkey dick (spoilers for those who haven't played ME3 yet).

Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:11 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 660 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next