It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:01 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 660 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next
Heroes of Newerth and other new games 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Re: Heroes of Newerth and other new games
Yay.. awesome!

I didn't play Arkham Asylum.. maybe I should go back to that. I bought Dead Space 1 & 2 on sale a while back and started that though. I'm pretty good on games to play now. Arkham City was way better than Skyrim as far as I'm concerned.

I appear to be downloading some big update for Portal.. hmmm..

Thu May 10, 2012 8:57 pm

Not playing the original Arkham Asylum is problem you should resolve immediately :P

Good news is, the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show a median latency of forty-four point six years, so if you're thirty or older, you're laughing. Worst case scenario, you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator and it makes a happy face.

Thu May 10, 2012 9:01 pm

I got some of the AC DLC last week so might look at getting back into that this weekend. Also picked up the Company of Heroes series on the weekend Steam deals.

Gotta love Steam :)

Thu May 10, 2012 9:15 pm

Missus bought me a copy of D3 yesterday (yeah, kinda awesome like that), seems alright although the bits of lag I've seen are off putting. Also it has almost zero performance impact on my machine, my cards don't even kick in with GPU boost lol.

Good news is, the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show a median latency of forty-four point six years, so if you're thirty or older, you're laughing. Worst case scenario, you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator and it makes a happy face.

Wed May 16, 2012 4:49 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

I finished Arkham Asylum, and I liked it a lot, but AC was quite a bit better imo. The UI and the way everything was presented in AC is just better. There were more gadgets, and more variation in the combat, plus the puzzles were much better. The sound was also better in AC. In AA, Batman did these weird grunts and such, and basically looked liked one of the Ambiguously Gay Duo. AC Batman was more like the Christian Bale type. I also liked being able to grapnel around the city.

AC is just a great game. I'm looking forward to the Harley Quinn DLC.

Fri May 18, 2012 8:28 am

Micas wrote:
I finished Arkham Asylum, and I liked it a lot, but AC was quite a bit better imo. The UI and the way everything was presented in AC is just better. There were more gadgets, and more variation in the combat, plus the puzzles were much better. The sound was also better in AC. In AA, Batman did these weird grunts and such, and basically looked liked one of the Ambiguously Gay Duo. AC Batman was more like the Christian Bale type. I also liked being able to grapnel around the city.

AC is just a great game. I'm looking forward to the Harley Quinn DLC.

I'm one of those people who thought that the city itself is one of the things that damaged the flow of the Arkham games. Asylum stuck to the Metroid/Symphony of The Night formula almost perfectly which really helped the narrative flow and the sense of direction. The extra gadgets in city did vary up the combat some more, although some of them felt extraneous at times to me. The original Asylum combat was more than enough and over all Rocksteady's combat system is by far the best in the business as far as that genre is concerned.

That and I'm just a sucker for Mark Hamill's Joker (old mate is just straight up sinister), being a kid of the 90's he's more Joker to me than Luke fucking Skywalker. I feel sorry for the people who grew up with Adam West Batman in a way, they never got that perfect pairing of Conroy/Hamill that we got from the animated series and subsequently the Arkham series. I still believe that Mask of The Phantasm is probably the best Batman movie ever made behind Nolan's work. That extremely Joker centric plot in Asylum is just great.

Fri May 18, 2012 8:38 am
says Hi!
says Hi!

Buy this app- Zombies, run. It is a game where you run in real life and get chased by zombies and pick up items which you use after your run to build up your base.

https://www.zombiesrungame.com/

Works on Android, Iphone and Ipod touch

A little something to make exercise more bearable.

"Love means pretending to pay attention"

Thu May 24, 2012 7:41 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Harley Quinn DLC is out.. it's yaaaaay. I don't know what the hell it is, but I really love AC. If they can keep making a new Batman game every 6 months, I'll keep paying 60 bucks for them.

Wed May 30, 2012 12:08 am

So at E3 this year the 2 titles that have really stuck out for my are Watch Dogs and Star Wars 1313, mainly driven by the fact that they really do look like some next level stuff. A lot of the stage demo's this year have been running of PC's but both of those games are clearly targeting the next console cycle (although Watch Dogs will probably get a scaled back version for existing console hardware). It's nice to see the potential that's been locked up inside PC hardware for a few years now being put to proper use.

Also Squares latest engine tech demo was amazing to watch.

Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:05 pm

Yeah that tech demo was nice. 1313 looks like Uncharted in Space but I'm happy with that considering how awesome the Uncharted franchise is.

The Last of Us was another one that caught my eye and is being made by Naughty Dog. I'm not sure if the playstyle in the demo they showed will be what the game is like but if it's anything like it, take my money now.

Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:08 pm

Azareus wrote:
Yeah that tech demo was nice. 1313 looks like Uncharted in Space but I'm happy with that considering how awesome the Uncharted franchise is.

The Last of Us was another one that caught my eye and is being made by Naughty Dog. I'm not sure if the playstyle in the demo they showed will be what the game is like but if it's anything like it, take my money now.

The Last of Us looks pretty damn good, it's like they've taken the whole "Nathan Drake spends his time between cut scenes being a mass murderer" criticism on board and have tried add some genuine impact to the combat in the game. Instead of taking for 30-40 guys in an encounter you seem to only take on a handful and the whole sequence is brutal (I cringed when the girl beaned that dude with the brick).

Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:19 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

I was looking through blues news, and they have a link to an editorial about game violence. It's not written that well, and it's difficult to get the author's point, but it's still worth a speed read.

I know I keep going on about Batman to everyone I know lately (believe me.. it's literally everyone I know), but one of the things I like about it is that Batman refuses to kill anyone. He's the ultimate pacifist, doing what he has to do to stop the bad guy, but not going any further than that even though the vast majority of human society thinks it would be fine, and probably even proper, if he did.

That moral question comes up in the game.. Batman stops Joker.. Joker eventually escapes and people die, and so Batman is allowing people to die because he doesn't kill Joker. In that context, the violence in the game is just really good. It's not moving a mouse to point your first person sniper rifle at somebody's head and pulling the trigger to watch it explode, or, as the editorial notices in a new game, shoving a shotgun in somebody's mouth and pulling the trigger. It's like a boxing game where you master the controls in order to win the well choreographed fight. It's fun and looks cool.

I've played tons and tons of shooters but they all go out of their way to soften the mayhem. That's done by sort of.. toning down the consequences of the violence.. as in BF3 where you're not seeing people explode in a red mist, or human remains that look like a butcher shop, etc.

I've always thought that there is a line that shouldn't be crossed. I'm not so sure of that anymore. Every day I'm more convinced that most people are sociopaths and quite sincerely take pleasure in things that nauseate me whether just something immoral or a physical act of violence. I could design a game where the player is a serial killer. I could make it where the goal is to butcher young girls, or children, and not get caught by the police. I'll bet it would sell a lot of units.

I sleep better having put my money behind a racing game.. one that is impossible for the driver to be killed.

That was pretty good.. think I need to throw that one on the blog. But seriously.. I don't get the impression that any of you guys* are sociopaths. Doesn't it seem like some things just shouldn't be portrayed in a game? Should I have my serial killer tie a child to a rope and slowly lower them into a wood chipper, and get the best graphics artists in the industry to render that? I'd have to make sure the point of it is doing it without getting caught and not make the focus the violence for pleasure... but we all know that's just bullshit.

* i think i have some pictures of Ish someplace where he's posing with some turkey he just murdered

Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:51 pm

You're right, there is a line that should be observed. I like to think that for most people there comes a point when creating a piece of content where you arrive at what's acceptable and leave it at that.

I'd also like to think that most normal people will opt out from viewing or interacting with something that crosses that line. There are going to be some messed up people out there who will still get a kick out of your hypothetical child murder/abuse simulator, but that's because they're messed up... and should probably get some help.

Arguments against violence in video games have been largely irrelevant up until this point, simply because because said violence has been devoid of any emotional gravity/impact or consequence and is completely disconnected from reality. I actually look forward to more games taking the same approach to violence that Naughty Dog is taking in The Last of Us. Heavy Rain is another good example of attempting to provide a certain weigh to your actions, it's also why people are so (wrongly) up in arms about the new Tomb Raider.

Also murdered turkey is delicious.

Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:11 pm

https://www.humblebundle.com/

That's a pretty incredible deal right there. I've already got a few of those games but considering your money also goes to charity, I decided to donate and pick up some extra games.

Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:04 pm

Got my copy of Max Payne 3 yesterday. Looks like I need to upgrade my video card to at least a 560 gtx to get it to run at 1920x1080 but I've been running it at 1280x900 and it still looks really good, especially with DX11 enabled.

Gameplay wise its fantastic, you get less ammo (per weapon) and painkillers than the previous games so it makes things a bit more exciting when you're in a firefight. You have to use cover a lot more in this game too and its great how when you're about to die and you still have painkillers left, you get a chance to take someone out and then it uses up one of your painkillers and you're back in the fight. You also get to see some pretty brutal kills in this game too, especially with headshots. Only complaint I'd have is the cutscene:gameplay ratio is pretty high.

Storywise so far it's so so. I'm only up to Chapter 6 but I really enjoyed the grittyness and noir feeling of the first two games. It's kind of lost that feeling in this game, feels more like a Michael Bay movie more than anything. But there have been some great scenes so far and it's still keeping me interested enough to see how the game ends. I'm also keen to check out MP as well once I'm done.

Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:26 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 660 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next