It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:05 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 660 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44
Heroes of Newerth and other new games 

Post Re: Heroes of Newerth and other new games
Anyone else looking at getting Borderlands 2? I ended up biting the bullet and pre-ordered it. The first one was a bit of fun and for $37 I figure it's worth a go. Hopefully the campaign has a better storyline than the first one though.

Also for those who like point and click adventure games, I'd highly recommend taking a look at The Book of Unwritten Tales. Fairly straightforward puzzles but looks fantastic and has some great voice acting along with it.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/215160/

Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:37 pm

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/16 ... -adventure

I can see more and more gaming companies using this way to funding game development rather than having to go through publishers. Tim Schafer has started a revoultion ;)

Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:50 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Haven't been around for a while, but thought I'd post an update on Project CARS.

http://vimeo.com/51899502

It's all in-game footage without any external effects.

The first pass of time-of-day and the weather effects are in. This is truly the alpha first-pass, and it's stunning to say the least.

They've implemented a system where the sun and moon azimuth correctly moves by track location and date/time. The moon phase is accurate, as is the visual size at elevation. The game will also check the weather conditions local at the track and use them if you want. If you live near the track and walked outside your house, you'd see what is displayed in the game. This includes not just clouds, but the type of clouds.

The rain puddles on the track and has a drying line, and all the reflections are accurate. In fact, this is the most advanced weather system ever implemented in any game ever made. It also has one of the most advanced lighting systems. In that respect, it's on the level of crytek, or unreal technology.

For a car racing game.. Yes, it's rather brutal on modest systems right now, but hasn't had any optimization passes yet. That'll come in about 6 months.

The tire model has been completely re-written, and the first phase was integrated into the daily builds a few weeks ago. There will no longer be any 'canned' force feedback effects. It'll all be driven by the physics. For example, every other game uses a canned effect for when the car goes over the kerbs. In pCARS, it'll use the physical effect of the kerb on the tires to drive the FFB.

Multiplayer was introduced about 3 weeks ago, and it's already on par with iRacing. The code-base for MP was completely re-written.. so at this point, there's not a whole lot of the Shift series codebase left in the game.

So.. sometime around this point next year, the game should be released. At that point, it'll be not only the most advanced racing sim ever made, but one of the most advanced games period. It'll have a single player experience better than any other racing game (the design is almost done), and it'll support MP leagues. You can setup a league, recruit drivers, schedule races and everything is tracked and updated on the social framework of the web site.

I'm in for 80k euros now. The funding of the 3.75m budget is at 90%, and I think the last 10% will be added by the end of the year.. or probably by the end of November.

It's pretty fucking awesome.

Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:17 am
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Anyone else excited for the new Sim City release next month?

Looks to be some very compelling multiplayer components, so if anyone is intent on playing let me know, maybe we can hook up in a region.

Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:14 am
Profile WWW
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Installing... Installing... HUUUURRRRYR UPPPPP.

Also, My Origin Id is dcsteve202 if anyone else is playing.

Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:07 pm
Profile WWW

What'd you think Rhalin? All the reviews I've read about it have been anywhere from disappointing to awful. Something about fire trucks being really retarded to mass transit that massively backs up traffic. Have they got any of the bugs ironed out?

Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:51 pm

They've got quite a bit of the issues worked out at this point... mass transit in that game can still be a pain. But the original server clusterFuck is done with.

Pretty solid, though it can occasionally be frustrating not to have enough space to expand one city the way you want.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:43 am

Not sure how I feel about SimCity being an "online-only" game, especially when the developer came out and said that it didn't necessarily have to be.

I guess- What does this SimCity bring to the table that wasn't done better than any of the others?

Anyone snag the new Bioshock? What about Farcry 3?

Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:16 pm

Bioshock Infinite is amazing, definitely worth playing. Fantastic ending that I won't spoil for anyone. Some of the gameplay is a little linear at times but riding around on rails shooting everyone is lots of fun.

New Tomb Raider game is also excellent, it's the reboot the series needed. If you like any of the previous games or the Uncharted series, it's definitely worth a look.

I'm currently working my way through the Assassins Creed series again. Just finished Revelations and started AC3 on the weekend. Not really getting into it as much as the previous games although the story is pretty good so far. Just the gameplay is very lacking at the moment but I've heard it picks up later in the game so I'll stick with it.

Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:12 pm
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Holy shit, people exist on the forums!

I kind of shelved Sim City. I was so excited for it, and it just didn't live up to my expectations. Yes, the game is fun, but it's frustrating. They kind of force you into this regional play, based on depleting resources and limited city size, which in and of itself is fine... if it worked. There appear to be known issues with regional trades, I haven't checked their forums in awhile to see if it is fixed, but it is highly frustrating.

I'll probably get back into it at some point, but for now I've been finding other games to pass the time.

Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:13 am
Profile WWW

So free demo of Guild Wars 2 is this weekend. So far, it seems fairly fun. It feels a little less complex than other MMO's I've played though. A couple of my friends want me to get it, still not sure yet.

Anyone else into it?

Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:16 am

Started playing Sleeping Dogs, quite good for a GTA clone. Even better once I found the Roadrunner channel, lots of Opeth and Machine Head :)

Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:07 pm
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Anyone trying out Neverwinter?

I'm on the Dragon server if anyone else is interested.

Wed May 01, 2013 9:27 am
Profile WWW

GW2- I ended up buying it. So far it's been a lot of fun.

Seri- It has jumping puzzles in it. Some of them rival the ones we'd do in Maplestory in difficulty. One of them, Eternal Battlegrounds, is absolutly the worst puzzle I've had. I had Comrade Groesbeck (my friend from work that always came into work wearing a soviet pin on his hat) and I took 2 hours and 45 minutes to work through it. What's worse than trying to figure it out? It's in a PvP setting, so half the time, you're getting ganked between jumps.

Beyond that, I just mainly play Halo Reach with coworkers and Gears of War 3. Rhalin, let me know if Neverwinter is any good.

Wed May 01, 2013 7:37 pm
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Well I finished a day of playing Neverwinter, which really is not enough time to offer any real opinions on the game, but I can give you some impressions that I took away from a few hours of playing.

The graphics leave a lot to be desired, the characters all look pretty much the same. The animations on the other hand seem to be pretty true, which is nice. Along the same line, the text is hard to read pretty much everywhere, I'm not sure if it's a font thing or what, but I have trouble with it. Sometimes it's the color of the text, blue or green on black background.

The interface and game play is interesting. It's a typical WASD movement game but instead of targeting like in WoW you use the mouse to aim. This is weird because you can't move the mouse to mouse-over things like skills or the map etc, unless you press ALT, or enter your inventory or character sheet. It just feels a little clunky at first, but you get used to it. The benefit too is it makes combat pretty interesting. You don't just target and start pounding away on a monster, you have to make sure you're close enough and pointed at the one you want to do damage to. Combat is quick paced and enjoyable. The larger mobs and bosses tend to have interesting attacks where the ground will turn red when they're about to do an area effect, so you have to quickly run out of the way. My character can sprint by holding SHIFT (I'm not sure if this is class specific), but I use this to dart out of the way of attacks, then head back in for a few more sword slashes.

I don't fully understand the skill trees or crafting or any of the more complex game mechanics, but so far it's an enjoyable diversion, and it's free which is pretty cool. I don't know how I feel about the purchasable stuff yet, I have this feeling like the game is going to feel like less of a game unless you start buying stuff, but I have no concrete examples of that yet. I'm just sure it will happen. I'm expecting things like a level cap of 50 for free then to get the last 5 levels you gotta pay, or something stupid like that. Or to get good end game content you have to pay... we'll see.

Also, the user generated content could be really cool. I haven't checked it out yet, but I have high hopes. And lastly, there seems to be scheduled events that look like fun, but I haven't figured out how all that works yet though.

Anyway, for free, it's definitely worth checking out if you're bored with whatever you're playing.

Thu May 02, 2013 9:37 am
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 660 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44