It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:43 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 827 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56  Next
Interesting Articles - with more existing posts 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Re: Interesting Articles - with more existing posts
One thought experiment is the effect of gravity on light. We know through gravitational lensing (where light bends around galaxies) that gravity can effect light. It can bend the light. So, does that mean that light that travels directly at the galaxy ahead of it is accelerating? The answer is, sorta.

Some physics theories explain things on a macro level. That's why Newton's laws of gravity are not really invalidated by Einstein's relativity. Newton explains better than 99% of the gravitational effects of the universe. Relativity attempts to explain the rest, but doesn't quite get there. For example, relativity demands that light's velocity remain constant but in certain situations it does not. For the special cases that Relativity doesn't explain, Einstein has.. taadda "special" relativity.

So the light that's travelling towards the galaxy does travel at greater than the speed of light, from the point of view of the galaxy. The light itself isn't travelling faster than light. The gravitational effect of the galaxy has warped the space around it, thus changing the path that the light travels. Therefore, from the point of view of the galaxy, light is faster than light, but from the light's perspective, it's still going the same speed, it's just the road it's on has become shorter, and when it passes the galaxy, the road become longer. Eventually it evens out.

Incidentally, that's where "red shift" and "blue shift" comes from.

When physicists talk about the issue with a neutrino that may travel faster than life, they're not talking about throwing out relativity, or special relativity, just like Einstein didn't boot Newton out of high school geometry classes. There will simply be another theory built around the math that they can work out that exists as a complement to relativity. The problem, though, is E=MC^2. If a neutrino has mass, and it does, then if it exceeds the speed of light, then it's mass becomes enormous. Because it's observed mass it not enormous, then if it is travelling faster than the speed of light, E=MC^2 breaks. That's bad.

I find the neutrino-travelling-faster-than-light trivial when compared to the mind blowing double split experiment. This is an experiment that proves that the state of light (whether particle or wave) changes depending on whether or not somebody is looking at it. Seriously. Schrödinger cat is the same deal. The act of observing the universe really does change it.

Some physicists have postulated that only the universe that has been observed exists, and it is the act of observing it that causes those parts of the universe to come into being. It's like a computer game that doesn't render things you can't see in the game until your point of view changes to force it to be displayed. Which, of course, causes people like Scott Adams to insist that we're just a simulation - albeit, a really good one.

The other effect that amazes me is spooky action at a distance. It's been experimentally proven that two entangled particles can affect each other's direction of spin over arbitrarily large distances. They could be light years apart, but what happens to one particle affects the other particle no matter how far away. Some have argued that someday, that property of the particles could be used to send information across the universe instantaneously. However, other physicists insist that nothing can travel faster than light.. even information. But - it goes back to that bending space thing. There might be another property of the universe that can get "bent", allowing the information to exceed the the speed of light from the point of view of the physical universe we're used to.

Which, of course, is where you get Frank Herbert's Dune mechanism of folding space for faster than light travel. It only requires really good drugs.

Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:23 pm

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/alabama-company-puts-human-ashes-ammunition-153625609.html

Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:38 pm

http://www.news.com.au/technology/live- ... 6160012726

Steve's Dead. Quick, someone get Pic a counselor.

Good news is, the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show a median latency of forty-four point six years, so if you're thirty or older, you're laughing. Worst case scenario, you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator and it makes a happy face.

Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:07 pm
says Hi!
says Hi!

seriously.

Hate or Love Apple, you have to give Jobs credit. He was an amazing man.

"Love means pretending to pay attention"

Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:36 pm

Long but very interesting to read.

http://youarenotsosmart.com/2011/10/05/ ... in-effect/

Humans continue to confuse me.

Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:45 am

Man sues former hostages, says they broke promise

http://news.yahoo.com/man-sues-former-hostages-says-broke-promise-190902970.html

Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:35 am

Big suprise: you are being tracked.

http://news.yahoo.com/smartphone-spying-204933867.html

Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:30 pm

lower prices and more profit to artists, fuck yeah:

http://news.yahoo.com/wake-up--media-mo ... -200k.html

Going to be buying a copy as soon as I get home, because its $5.

Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:34 pm

http://thingsboganslike.com/

I can't believe I haven't seen that site before, pure gold.

Good news is, the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show a median latency of forty-four point six years, so if you're thirty or older, you're laughing. Worst case scenario, you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator and it makes a happy face.

Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:39 pm

http://www.tested.com/profile/korwin/wi ... se/37-760/

I got bored and wrote something about using new GPU's with older CPU's. Take a look if your interested.

Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:54 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

You need an editor.. :)

Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:54 am

2000 words or bust :p

Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:23 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
Unfortunately I myself do not have access

& lrn2 ,

Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:09 pm

Micas wrote:
Quote:
Unfortunately I myself do not have access

& lrn2 ,

Pretty sure a comma there is optional depending on how you want the sentence to flow. English is a shitty language like that.

Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:23 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Actually, my point was that your article skull-fucked the English language and you need an editor to sort that stuff out. Shall I demonstrate?

and never.. use "I myself" in a sentence, it's redundant.

Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:26 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 827 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56  Next