It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:34 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 959 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64  Next
Some crazy shit about new-age-techno-whatsits and epeen 

Post Re: Some crazy shit about new-age-techno-whatsits and epeen
So got the MyTab today and after upgrading it to 2.3.4, its running very swish for a cheap tablet. Anyone got any Android apps that are recommended?

Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:20 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

There seems to be some debate if you should use an automatic app killer on an android device or not. A friend of mine uses Advanced Task Killer (free), and it extends battery life on the phone. You white list apps, like email and such, if you want... and it periodically kills everything else that's running. Android likes to leave things loaded and it's possible they'll suck up cpu cycles and such.

Not sure what sort of issue the battery is on the tablet, but it's something to consider.

Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:42 am

I did use it quite a bit yesterday and it's used up about 1/3 of the battery already. I'll take a look at that app and see how I go with it.

Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:00 pm

Been using my tablet quite a bit trying out different apps.

The best one I've found though is ScummVM. I've used this program before on PC to run some older games but didn't realise there was an Android app for it. Lots of fun playing some of the classics using the touchscreen, although it can be a little cumbersome playing on a resistive screen sometimes.

These are some of the games I've tested so far on it:

Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:44 pm
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Holy shit that rules. What Tab do you have? I've been shopping around a lot for a 7 inch one with a stylus for work. Keen on the HTC Flyer but it's still running Android 2.3 so I'm holding off for an upgrade.

Edit: Just scrolled up to see what Tab you have. 3.x android looks really really nice, should see if there is a rom you can flash onto it.

Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:26 pm

I think it'll only support 2.3 from what I've read (officially its only meant to run 2.2). Not sure if thats due to a limitation on the hardware or not but they seem to update the build I've got on here once a week so I'm pretty happy with it considering its only a cheap tablet.

Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:18 am

You won't see 3.x Android on the original Galaxy Tab, as it's basically just a giant phone (a Galaxy S to be precise, one of the nastiest Android phones around) it doesn't meet the required hardware standards nor does the Flyer.

I don't think I've seen and Honeycomb tablets announced yet with a digitiser so there isn't much in the way of Stylus support out there but there's bound to be one eventually.

Good news is, the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show a median latency of forty-four point six years, so if you're thirty or older, you're laughing. Worst case scenario, you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator and it makes a happy face.

Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:19 am
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Galaxy Tab 2 has stylus support (though doesnt come stock with a stylus), the Asus eee pad MeMo does but I'm not too keen on hardware design.

The Flyer is also getting an upgrade to 3.2, 3.1 is being used for all > 7 inch tabs while Google just finished working on 3.2 which is designed for 7 inch tabs. HTC announced a few months ago that they will be updating the flyer to 3.x once they found a nice way to work Sense UI onto it. I really hate Sense so I hope they just scrub it and stick with stock 3.2.

I think you're right about first gen android tabs (and the cheaper new ones). The hardware just cant support Honeycomb.

Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:12 pm

http://www.news.com.au/technology/natio ... 6141275872

$100 for 100mbps and 1TB of data? Just hook it up to my veins.

Good news is, the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show a median latency of forty-four point six years, so if you're thirty or older, you're laughing. Worst case scenario, you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator and it makes a happy face.

Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:40 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jesus Christ.. I just got done "upgrading" my bandwidth to 20mbps. 100? Fucking crazy.

The US has weird bandwidth issues going on. There's excess fiber in the ground, and they could instantly flip people on to ridiculous speeds but they don't.. and they refuse to bump upload bandwidth past 2mbps, which is shitty. I'm really not sure what the deal is. I know they don't want to free up upload bandwidth for homes because then it wouldn't take for fucking ever to pirate something and file sharing would be nuts. But at least they don't cap us.

In other news.. I need better video cards now that I'm using 3 monitors for everything I can. Looks like AMD is going to beat Nvidia to the punch on the next gen.. so this might be the first time.. in like 10 years or more, that I haven't used an Nvidia video card. I think AMD is arriving sometime between now and the end of the year, and Nvidia due to arrive 1Q 2012. I need it nowwwww.

Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:04 pm

Micas wrote:
Jesus Christ.. I just got done "upgrading" my bandwidth to 20mbps. 100? Fucking crazy.

The US has weird bandwidth issues going on. There's excess fiber in the ground, and they could instantly flip people on to ridiculous speeds but they don't.. and they refuse to bump upload bandwidth past 2mbps, which is shitty. I'm really not sure what the deal is. I know they don't want to free up upload bandwidth for homes because then it wouldn't take for fucking ever to pirate something and file sharing would be nuts. But at least they don't cap us.

In other news.. I need better video cards now that I'm using 3 monitors for everything I can. Looks like AMD is going to beat Nvidia to the punch on the next gen.. so this might be the first time.. in like 10 years or more, that I haven't used an Nvidia video card. I think AMD is arriving sometime between now and the end of the year, and Nvidia due to arrive 1Q 2012. I need it nowwwww.

I can't personally recommend AMD cards in triple head, at least in crossfire configurations. The stuttering issues are fucking brutal and ruin any notion of a better frame rate when running in Eyefinity, 60fps is all well and good but it's as useful as a bag of soggy cocks when it looks like 25 to the naked eye. In single GPU Eyefinity kicks the crap out of Nvidia surround (A: it doesn't require 2 gpus and B: Eyefinity is much nicer to work with and C: No stuttering), however as soon as you use 2 cards Nvidia takes the lead the as micro/macro stuttering is no where near as big a problem with SLI.

As far as AMD's release schedule is concerned I believe only the mid range refresh is due by the end of the year with the high end due around the same time as Nvidia's gear.

Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:18 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm pretty sure the new AMD GPU (Southern Islands) has a Q4 2011 release date, at least from what I've been reading, including the wiki.. but maybe their schedule has slipped and info is out dated.

Stuttering is a big problem with my 2xGTX460s (massively overclocked) in surround. I've gone back to iRacing on a single monitor because of it as my lap times were impacted. I can't remember the link, but I read some really good article on stuttering, what causes it and how to reduce it..

oh.. the article popped into my head.. pretty good read.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/rad ... ,2995.html

I totally dig 3 monitors for gaming.. depending on the game of course. It's particularly suited to racing games, and I've even played through some more Deus Ex with a trainer on just to blast shit with surround and it's pretty cool. Thing is, I've come to hate SLI and I really don't want to deal with it anymore. I want a single GPU that can drive 3 monitors and run every game like butter. I don't think that should be asking too much.

The NY Times just published an article claiming that the US ranks, on average, 25th in the world in network speed... and this is the country the invented the shit in the first place. It's not for lack of bandwidth, but lack of competition because of the way the providers have fucked everything up in order to maximize profits. But that's really just an average. People in bigger cities still get 10mb+.

Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:58 pm

Bandwidth here is pretty terrible. The NBN is the governments current big infrastructure project, as the internet is the indoor plumbing of the 21st century it makes sense to beef it up on a national scale. Hopefully a lot of the work can be done before the more fiscally conservative party takes government, they are just dying to kill it dead.

AMD might be a good choice for you with their new line-up if your looking to move away from multi-GPU (I can't blame you). As you only need the one card to run eyefinity you should be fine. If the initial leaked numbers are anything to go buy we should be looking at at least a 100% increase in speed over the 6970 with their top end card, if not 125%. Just make sure you have enough display port cables to go around (or DP to DVI adapters).

Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:25 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ya.. that's one thing I've read about eyefinity.. is the issue with the cables. That would be the least of my worries though. Double the speed of a 6970 sounds like just the thing, and in a worst case scenario, getting 2 of the new AMD cards would fix the microstutter issue just through brute force. I just can't tell you how many times I've been side by side with another car going through a corner, just to have microstutter jack the shit up at the apex. It's maddening. Going back to one monitor seems claustrophobic but I get a solid 100+ FPS with zero microstutter and maxed graphics settings.

I guess the smart thing to do would be to wait for new GPUs from both Nvidia and AMD and compare them via reviews and such. I normally buy every other cycle so this next one is buy time.

Ah.. recent leak info from Guru3d.. cool stuff. Looks like you're correct the high end stuff released 1Q 2012.

http://www.guru3d.com/news/radeon-hd-70 ... s-leaked-/

Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:11 pm
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Micas wrote:
I'm pretty sure the new AMD GPU (Southern Islands) has a Q4 2011 release date, at least from what I've been reading, including the wiki.. but maybe their schedule has slipped and info is out dated.

Stuttering is a big problem with my 2xGTX460s (massively overclocked) in surround. I've gone back to iRacing on a single monitor because of it as my lap times were impacted. I can't remember the link, but I read some really good article on stuttering, what causes it and how to reduce it..

oh.. the article popped into my head.. pretty good read.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/rad ... ,2995.html

I totally dig 3 monitors for gaming.. depending on the game of course. It's particularly suited to racing games, and I've even played through some more Deus Ex with a trainer on just to blast shit with surround and it's pretty cool. Thing is, I've come to hate SLI and I really don't want to deal with it anymore. I want a single GPU that can drive 3 monitors and run every game like butter. I don't think that should be asking too much.

The NY Times just published an article claiming that the US ranks, on average, 25th in the world in network speed... and this is the country the invented the shit in the first place. It's not for lack of bandwidth, but lack of competition because of the way the providers have fucked everything up in order to maximize profits. But that's really just an average. People in bigger cities still get 10mb+.

I'll take one of those 460s off your hands. I'm still running the same shit I was running before I moved to DC 4 years ago. 8800gt I believe.

Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:58 pm
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 959 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64  Next