It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 12:21 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 959 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64
Some crazy shit about new-age-techno-whatsits and epeen 
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Post Re: Some crazy shit about new-age-techno-whatsits and epeen
Seeing as how I've been playing Civ 5 in Dx 9 mode cause my 6600GT can't quite handle the dx 11 shit very well, I'd be interested in upgrading to one of those 460s.

Tue May 08, 2012 6:48 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

One? GG you're a cheap mo-fo.

btw.. the 6600GT can't do DX11 at all. :)

Tue May 08, 2012 8:26 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Aww... fuck it.. it's just money. Email me your address and I'll gift you one of them. I'll keep the other as a backup. It'll run Diablo 3 well also.. in case you plan on getting that.

Tue May 08, 2012 9:46 am
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

ha, thanks. I knew getting these forums back up and running would be worth something. :P (even though it was Arnado who did it)

Also, I think 2 would be overkill for the amount of gaming I do on the PC these days.

Tue May 08, 2012 9:54 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oh ffs.. I get an email from EVGA telling me the 690 is in stock, I click the link, and it's sold out again.

This is just crazy.

Tue May 08, 2012 4:17 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Awwww.. fuck it. EVGA has the 4GB FTW editions @ $630 now. I'm going to buy 2. I know that the 690 has a bit better reduction of micro stutter, but like you said.. with 2 cards it's not really an issue anyway. My concern has been that the 2mb frame buffer wouldn't be enough for future titles in surround. If I'm going to spend a grand on video, might as well spend a bit more for peace of mind on that.

Ya.. I know the difference will likely be no more than 10 FPS in real world performance. I'll just feel a bit better about the whole thing getting the 4mb models. It might just help with cranking up the AA.. which I probably wouldn't notice anyway. heh

Tue May 08, 2012 5:45 pm

I wouldn't be worried to much about the AA, by the time you go beyond a 2GB using AA your probably already over the limit of the GPU's being able to provide a stable framerate. I used an SMAA injector on pretty much everything these days anyway.

Good news is, the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show a median latency of forty-four point six years, so if you're thirty or older, you're laughing. Worst case scenario, you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator and it makes a happy face.

Tue May 08, 2012 7:32 pm

http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/graf ... kroruckler

You'll need to translate the page, but that's AMD's frametime issues on full display there. The 680 setup isn't anywhere near as bad (I've not really noticed any significant problems myself) and the 690 is pretty damn close to a single GPU solution.

Good news is, the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show a median latency of forty-four point six years, so if you're thirty or older, you're laughing. Worst case scenario, you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator and it makes a happy face.

Tue May 08, 2012 7:35 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

I see what you mean.. but you can't use an injector with an online game like BF3, right? My guess is that you can't use 4xMSAA at 5760x1080 on the 680 SLI or 690 in BF3 at a decent frame rate.

Wed May 09, 2012 5:26 pm

Micas wrote:
I see what you mean.. but you can't use an injector with an online game like BF3, right? My guess is that you can't use 4xMSAA at 5760x1080 on the 680 SLI or 690 in BF3 at a decent frame rate.

Yeah MSAA at 5760 is a pretty big hit on the GPU performance side of things and also rubs up against that memory limitation.

I have used SMAA in multi however I haven't tried recently.

Wed May 09, 2012 6:49 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

So it turns out that the 670 is about 5% slower than a 680, and depending on the OC potential, maybe faster than the 680.. and nerd forums are going crazy. It's pretty funny.

I can pick up 2 of the 4GB 670s for less than the 2GB 680s. That sounds reasonable to me.

Thu May 10, 2012 9:02 pm

I saw a large amount of impotent rage over the bee's dick performance gap between the 2 cards. I don't care at all, I've already overclocked my 680's so it's not like i'm falling behind a 670 or anything.

Good news is those things should be available in volume considering there is likely a large number of not quite good enough GK104's kicking around the factory floor that can be used.

Thu May 10, 2012 9:05 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ya, I don't know why they're getting upset about it. After all these years, you'd think people would know that this shit happens when you decide to be an early adopter. I'm sure if I buy the 670s, I'll be irritated I didn't wait a while longer for something else.. but whatever. It's like how much faster does this shit need to be before people relax?

Thu May 10, 2012 9:13 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

I waited long enough to find out that the EVGA 680 classified is a voltage unlocked 4GB 680 with a stupidly high price (nice but not very good value for the money).. so I went ahead and ordered 2 of the 4GB 670 super clocked cards for less than a grand. Usually when EVGA bins like that, there some decent headroom to push them a bit further, but I probably won't care. My 460s are FTW model and I never bothered to try and eek out another 5% out of them... but I guess it wouldn't hurt to push the power target up all the way and see what the 670s turbo clocks to.

They should be here tomorrow, and I'm looking forward to having some ridiculously fast video. I followed the 2 vs 4GB debate for a while and there were still people arguing on both sides, so I figured I'll just get the 4GB and be done with it since the difference in price for the extra memory in the 670 line is less than it is in the 680 line, which is perplexing. I'll be doing the surround gaming where it makes sense, and I'll probably, finally, get into BF3 multi. It reminds me of how I absolutely despised BC2 until I got the 460 SLI and 2600K and then it was a completely different game.. it became awesome. There shouldn't be any hitching at all in BF3 in surround and my guess is that it's glorious, even just using FXAA. I think I can just spend a bit of money to unlock all the weapons as well.. heh.

I see these 670s lasting me about as long as the 460s did.. but maybe even longer, so I should be set for a while. I'm still on the fence about an SSD. I like having a massive amount of space in my mechanical raid, and it runs decently quick. I think they're going to need to have 1TB SSD's in the $300 range before I bite, and that might take a while.

It's still really amusing to me that the reference 670s are 95% as fast as the reference 680s. The 670s I've bought are factory clocked to be faster than the reference 680s, for much much less money when compared to the 4GB 680s. It seems the issue of the bad 670s that EVGA was making has been cleared up, so the only thing that appears to be an issue, which is common to all 680s, is the problem with the adaptive v-sync. I think that's fixed in the latest dev driver, so I'll just turn v-sync on for now until the fix comes through the next driver release.

And merry fucking christmass to the cheap bastards that get my 460s!

Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:37 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 959 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64