It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:28 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 959 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64  Next
Some crazy shit about new-age-techno-whatsits and epeen 

Post Re: Some crazy shit about new-age-techno-whatsits and epeen
http://img.techpowerup.org/111111/btalkjhv44ffe.jpg

Good news is, the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show a median latency of forty-four point six years, so if you're thirty or older, you're laughing. Worst case scenario, you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator and it makes a happy face.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:31 am

Installed my 680's, this shit is fucking incredible.

Good news is, the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show a median latency of forty-four point six years, so if you're thirty or older, you're laughing. Worst case scenario, you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator and it makes a happy face.

Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:22 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nice.. saw the review today on 680 SLI at HardOCP, and it appears it shits all over the 7970 x-fire even at 5760p. The memory issue seems to not be an issue.

Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:12 pm

I'm running at 5760 and it makes a these cards make a meal of just about anything running at that res. Also the absolutely terrible micro stutter that my previous setup had is gone, may as well be running on a single card from all I can tell.

For instance Shift 2 was more or less unplayable on the old cards, now it's as smooth as silk.

Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:24 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Speaking of Shift 2.. the open participation for Project CARS is going to be closing soon. SMS has found somebody to fund the rest of the project, so they're going to close new memberships and freeze new investment. I sent them another 10k euros yesterday, which pretty much taps out my cash. That puts me in for about $75k US. yow.. I hope they don't fuck it up. Well, I did leave room for new GPU's this summer and emergency money.

And as you can imagine - with thousands of people there.. I am the center of attention.. a symbol of all that is wrong with the capitalist world, and it's so awesome I can't believe it. SMS banned about 20 or so people in the last few months so it's fairly calm now, but there were near riots there a few times. It reminded me a bit of the glory days of TDA when some people used to get really angry with me.

The sim itself is absolutely ridiculous, and there is a lot of time before alpha yet. Multiplayer should be in, in a month or so, which will be killer. There is zero doubt that it'll be the greatest racing title in the history of gaming. It'll be on all consoles also, albeit a bit lower graphical quality, and we're going to try to break into China substantially. I'm going to make a fuck load of money off this. Shift 2 is a giant pile of shit by comparison.

Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:58 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Okay.. so I lied about the console version of pCARS having crappier graphics than the PC.

Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:04 pm

Micas wrote:
Okay.. so I lied about the console version of pCARS having crappier graphics than the PC.

Your link, she is broken.

Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:45 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yar.. can't link to just the pic.. but this should work..

http://www.wmdportal.com/projectnews/fi ... k-preview/

The one I was trying to show was the pic in the top right corner of the 6 thumbnails.. green car. That's the BAC Mono.

Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:00 am

Micas wrote:
Yar.. can't link to just the pic.. but this should work..

http://www.wmdportal.com/projectnews/fi ... k-preview/

The one I was trying to show was the pic in the top right corner of the 6 thumbnails.. green car. That's the BAC Mono.

That's pretty damn nice looking for target hardware work, especially when you consider that the first year or 2 of games on a new platform never reach their full potential.

Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:03 pm
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Micas wrote:
Speaking of Shift 2.. the open participation for Project CARS is going to be closing soon. SMS has found somebody to fund the rest of the project, so they're going to close new memberships and freeze new investment. I sent them another 10k euros yesterday, which pretty much taps out my cash. That puts me in for about $75k US. yow..

You've got more balls than I do. I just can't seem to pull the trigger and send some randoms in the UK all my life's savings.

Micas wrote:
I hope they don't fuck it up.

And this is why... :)

Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:30 pm
Profile WWW

So I mentioned on the last page that I bought a HP N40L micro server. I've been using it now for a few weeks and can highly recommend it. Just running Server 2008 R2 on it with 4 gig of RAM (originally bought 8 gig of RAM for it but decided to put this into my gaming PC). Was copying files to it the other day at 95 mb/s through my mini gig switch so was pretty happy with those speeds.

The only problem I've had was because of the limited CPU, I couldn't stream my 1080p files from it directly as the CPU would max out and eventually it'd start to stutter through my PS3. Found a way around this however by using my home PC to point to the N40L media files share and let it do the transcoding. Now everything works perfectly :)

Just need to wait for hard drive prices to come down a bit so I can stock this up with a few more drives.

Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:17 pm

Upgraded my lounge room PC last week. It's now running on a 3570K and man, is that an improvement over the Q6600 it was running. No more bottle necking on that machine :P

Mon May 07, 2012 3:46 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

So what do you think Kor.. should I get a 690? I'm very indecisive because of GK110, but there is next to no info on it, nor a release date. I need better performance, so was thinking that the 690 got such good reviews from HardOCP, it would be better for me than 2 680s. I have a sound card wedged between the 2 460s in my system, and with the 690, I could put it in the lower slot and not block the fan at all. I do have 3 mechanical hard drives in the nearby bay, but the case has very good ventilation, so I don't think the heat would be a problem.

I was also thinking that if GK110 is a substantial improvement, I could just sell the 690 taking a bit of a loss and upgrade. Then again, the 690 should easily run anything for the foreseeable future with everything maxed in surround. I could probably skip the 7 series like I skipped the 5 series with my 460s.

Wish I knew the release date of GK110.

Tue May 08, 2012 12:58 am

I don't expect to see the GK110 (or some flavour of it) surface until AMD launch their 7970 successor. That will give Nvidia time to tune up on the die side of things and iron out any 22nm fab problems to get a good volume of cards out there.

That GTX690 is one fucking sexy bit of kit, if I didn't have a pair of 680's already I'd be all over it. The attention to detail in the design and build of that thing is really something special, you don't often see that level of care taken in reference cards. The best thing is some frame time test I've seen show a further reduced latency over what you get from SLI 680's which means even less microstutter (not that there's much there to begin with).

If the GTX 780 rolls up in early Q1 2013 and melt's face you'll still probably see about a 60-70% return on the 690 on the used market, there's going to be someone out there that will want it.

Last edited by Korakas on Tue May 08, 2012 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue May 08, 2012 2:05 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sounds good. I've got myself on the EVGA notification list. EVGA seems pretty quick to get out their non-reference SKUs, but I don't think they do much other than bin for factory oc's. I've been concerned about the vram issue for 5760p, but what I've seen of the 680, the 4mb variants don't seem to have much impact, even at that rez. The 690 seems to have a solid over clock on the reference unit, so I don't think I gain much from waiting for a "FTW" edition. I've never bought a reference graphics card before, but I'm feeling this one might be just the thing. Newegg is gouging an extra 200 for them, but EVGA is doing MSRP.

I'll need to sell my 460s. If anybody here wants a crack at them, let me know. The do a nice job at 1080p.

Tue May 08, 2012 2:28 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 959 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64  Next