It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:23 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 959 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64  Next
Some crazy shit about new-age-techno-whatsits and epeen 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Re: Some crazy shit about new-age-techno-whatsits and epeen
Somebody leaked internal slides from Tom's Hardware that they had prepared for their review of the GTX 680 when the NDA is up. HardOCP copied and hosted the images.

http://www.hardocp.com/news/2012/03/20/ ... benchmarks

The numbers are impressive. The 680 is on par, and in some cases exceeding the 6990 and 590, i.e., almost twice the speed of the 6970 and 580. Looks like the higher rez numbers are bumping up against the 2GB frame buffer, but the 4GB SKUs should be available before long. I still wish I knew what the Kepler road map is so I could decided if I buy two 680s or wait for GK110. Two 680s in SLI would be blistering, especially with the 4GB versions. There would be a couple of years of future proofing there, I think... at least. Maybe Calous would like to buy my 460 SLI setup.. :)

Unless the street price of the 680 is $600, it'll put some pressure on AMD, but definitely will have downward pressure on the Nvidia 5 series and AMD 6 series.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:25 pm

I've been looking over those slides, i'm not convinced that the frame buffer size is factoring in those tests. A buffer size problem generally results in the frame rate completely tanking, this looks a lot more like a bus width related issue (2GB is more than enough for single monitor gaming). The 680 is only rocking a 256-bit bus with GDDR5, while the 7970 has a 384-bit bus to play with giving it clear over 300gbps as apposed to the 200 odd that the 680 has to work with.

Although it could also just be a driver level MSAA tuning problem. The architecture is brand new so there's going to be some initial teething problems.

Kyle has said in the comments that in their own testing the memory limitations aren't as black and white as people expect which hints to me that the 3gb on the 7970's may be going to waste in most instances.

Regardless this is probably my next set of cards, AMD GPU microstutter is the absolute worst. Nvidia's solution which includes some hardware level management for stutter is a lot better.

Good news is, the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show a median latency of forty-four point six years, so if you're thirty or older, you're laughing. Worst case scenario, you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator and it makes a happy face.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:45 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

I was reading the thread attached to that post at H, and it appears you go by "Kor" there also.. :)

But ya, it's hard to say from looking at those slides what the issue is with the higher rez. I'm going to want performance in surround, so I'll need to see how that shakes out. I doubt I can get the 2GB versions and still run pCARS in surround. I don't play shooters in surround, but was thinking of trying BF3 maxed out in surround if I have the hardware for it. You're right though, if the textures are thrashing, the frame rate will tank. That happened recently when the devs introduced a bug into pCARS where it was thrashing the memory on 1GB and below GPUs.

The new AA method sounds interesting though.. but a brand new GPU should be able to kill anything using 8xMSAA instead of using a blurring post-AA method. Maybe not in surround - but at least 4xMSAA should work. When I subbed to iRacing, I used surround but had to turn off all AA. That's not a very graphically intense game, but jacking up the rez like that puts a huge strain when adding any AA due to the multiplying effect.

The new v-sync is interesting. It's nice that Nvidia at least acknowledges it's a big problem. I've been really impressed that pCARS doesn't have any stutter in SLI considering it was pretty shitty in Shift 2, and pCARS is far more intense graphically. Oh.. and in that H thread, somebody linked some article where they measured the raw compute power of the 680 vs. the 7970 and the 7970 destroys the 680. Apparently Nvidia is intentionally limiting the Geforce line rather than cannibalize Quadro. That could explain the memory bandwidth issue - though Nvidia has claimed that the bus width at 384 wasn't much of an advantage over 256.

That's all really why I'm more interested in GK110. I'm thinking it has a 384 bus, better raw compute, and a 3GB frame buffer. That's the part I want for surround.. two of them actually. I figure it'll cost about $1500 for the pair, but it'll absolutely smash and last for ages since a majority of games these days are console ports. There will only be a handful of games, like pCARS, that are PC first and then ported to console, which push the hell out of the PC hardware. We're hoping to get pCARS a benchmark mode so that it can replace Dirt 3 in most reviewer's benches. That'll be big promotion right there, and it is way more intense than Dirt 3. Ultra details at a high rez in pCARS will crush my frame rate but it looks freakin' amazing.

Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:12 am
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

This all sounds well and good and all... but I haven't played many PC games since WoW mostly Civ IV and Civ V when it was released, and a few others. Just starting to get into Diablo III and it runs just fine on my 6 year old hardware.

I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever need a new rig or any of this new-age-techno-whatsists...

Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:52 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Diablo 3 is made for the lowest common denominator in many ways. That's the problem. and why my interest in it is minimal if at all.

Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:20 pm

Good news is, the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show a median latency of forty-four point six years, so if you're thirty or older, you're laughing. Worst case scenario, you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator and it makes a happy face.

Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:22 pm

Bought a HP Microserver for home yesterday for $240 delivered. Here are the specs for those interested:

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/au/en/sm ... g=en&cc=au

Was thinking of getting a NAS at some point but this will allow me to run Hyper V or VMWare on it so I can run some vm's on it. Also bought 8 gig of RAM from Centrecom for $45, can't believe how cheap ram is nowadays.

Anyone know where I can pick up some cheap 2TB hard drives from?

Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:41 pm

680 launched today, already sold out everywhere... damnit.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:25 pm

Ok... found some in Brisbane. All good :D

Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:05 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

You buying 'em then? Two?

I'm really torn.. EVGA has already announced a "FTW" edition with 4GB mem, and higher clocks.. they say it'll be ready in a "few months". I can't wait I guess.. see what happens.

Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:26 am

Yeah I picked them up. I'm not that worried about the memory, tests seem to show that it manages just fine with 2GB. Also from what I've seen they OC pretty easily.

Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:18 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

So ya.. I'm gonna wait for GK110 and get 2.

http://www.hitechreview.com/it-products ... led/36263/

Quote:
Looking at the specs of both GK110 and the GK104 core, used in the GeForce GTX 680, one could conclude that NVIDIA has postponed the release of the more powerful GK110 core. This is true – and the reason is that GK104 exceeded NVIDIA’s performance expectations – the reason why the GK104 core debuts in the high-end GeForce GTX 680 graphics card instead of in a mid-range offering.

The GK110 core will debut officially in August 2012 in a video card, expected to be marketed as GeForce GTX 685. The GTX 690 name is most likely reserved for a dual GK104 graphics solution due late this year.

Specs-wise the GK110 core weighs whopping 6 billion transistors, packed in a chip with an overall die size of 550 sq.mm. The CUDA cores will be increased to 2304 and the single precision computing power will rise to 4.5 TFLOPS. In gaming NVIDIA expects the GK110 core to be 50% faster than the current GK104 flagship. The GK110 will debut in a video card that is expected to consume between 250 and 300 watts of power, costing around 650 USD.

If the specs are accurate, NVIDIA truly has a 3D monster coming out in August of this year.

Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:44 pm

Yeah those things will be hot (both metaphorically and literally). Some people have been throwing out some quick Unigine 3.0 results for these things. A single 680 scores almost double what my current setup does, it's just a complete humiliation.

Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:48 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
That thing is fucking absurd.

I know... right? It comes packed with fucking paint and a brush.. lol

Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:01 pm

It's double crazy because it's the second one of those they've done. There was a 560 Ti variant last year packaged with all the same shit. In fact some of those promo shots are straight up from the 560 promo.

Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:24 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 959 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64  Next